HELP - Battery issue??

Rola

Standard Member
I just sold my old IBM ThinkPad R40e on ebay and am having trouble with the buyer....

The laptop worked fine while connected to the mains but if you moved the machine / disturbed the adapter the laptop switched off!!
The battery gauge (on the taskbar) showed an error but the yellow/orange light (LED on the casing) was lit!!

I deduced that the problem was that the battery was dead - and that it wouldn't hold its charge anymore....

I added this in my listing (also suggested that if the any buyer wanted to use the laptop away from the mains - that they should get a new battery)!!

The buyer received last thurs and said it was working 'as expected'!!!!!!!!!!
NOW he is saying that it just randomly turns itself off & wont turn back on again for ages....??
He is sure that the problem isn't the battery because he has tried using another battery (from his old but faulty R40e that he was replacing)...!!

Im unwilling to offer a refund at the moment because it DID work (as described) when i sent it - AND when he first received it...

What else could be the problem.... if not the battery?! Could the adapter be faulty (sending fragments of power through....? is that even possible?)

Last edited:

brookheather

If the laptop is faulty then they raise a SNAD, return the laptop to you and get a refund. If you want to avoid negative feedback and a black mark on your account then you should offer to refund on return of the laptop. Here is the eBay forum if you wish to follow up:

Seller Central: Selling on eBay : Community

When you receive the laptop back you should relist as faulty for spares or repair.

- Simon.

brookheather

When you receive back the laptop you may want to check that it is the same laptop and that parts haven't been swapped with the buyer's laptop (e.g. motherboard) - did you make a note of the serial number in the BIOS?

- Simon.

Rola

Standard Member
I hardly ever use ebay..... once/twice a yr! Im not fussed about my feedback...

How do I know he hasn't damaged it over the last few days..... or is even telling the truth?? I don't want the go through the hassle if he is lying or might have changed his mind.....

If there is a common & legit reason (other than a dead battery) for the issue iv mentioned then (out of goodwill) i'll be happy to will offer a refund.

Rola

Standard Member
When you receive back the laptop you may want to check that it is the same laptop and that parts haven't been swapped with the buyer's laptop (e.g. motherboard) - did you make a note of the serial number in the BIOS?

- Simon.
I didn't think to do that....:(

brookheather

Unfortunately as a seller you have few rights on eBay - if the buyer starts a dispute they will win regardless of what they have done. You will just have to accept the refund and take it back.

Rola

Standard Member
Ok.

Cheers Simon - helpful as always!!

Although - if i stated that it had a problem in the listing & he has already confirmed that it worked initially... surely he can't complain!!

If you sell a laptop & it breaks down a week later... how is that the sellers problem?? By that logic he could contact me in a month / year and ask for a refund....!!!

Last edited:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
The buyer received last thurs and said it was working 'as expected'!!!!!!!!!!
If you did not offer any warranty I would use this as my defence.

Dig you heels in, forward the eBay auction page and all correspondence when necessary.

What's the buyers track record, how is his feedback standing?

brookheather

Buyers can raise a SNAD claim up to 45 days after buying the item - in my experience eBay and PayPal will nearly always find in the buyers favour. The buyer doesn't have to prove there is a problem - simply returning the item with tracking is sufficient for a refund.

brookheather

I had a look at your buyer's feedback - rating of 29 over two years so an occasional user - they have sold a few computers and parts so probably know what they're doing when it comes to laptops. Your listing item did emphasis how it was in good working condition so if it has stopped working within a few days then the buyer would have every right to a refund.

Rola

Standard Member
Someone (on another forum) has said the following...

"..it could be possibly that the mains adapter connection in the laptop (The small port in which you plug the mains power into) has become damaged.
It's extremely common in laptops, people forcing/ not being careful with the power socket, and damaging it.

It usually comes loose and starts wobbling around inside the casing. It starts breaking the solder, and the tracks on the board around it.

It's possible that it's shorting something out inside and either;
1. The laptop turns off because the battery is dead and the mains supply is cut off.
2. The short is causing power glitches, forcing the laptop off.
It's obviously something that the buyer has done to the laptop to damage it, now that it's not working anymore they want their money back...."

Rola

Standard Member
It turns out that the buyer is a computer engineer & says "I know a fault motherboard when I see one"!! He is saying that having a faulty connector is immaterial....!?

The laptop worked fine when I had it - it never 'switched itself off' other than when you disconnected it form the mains.... so how has he come to that conclusion??

How would the laptop have managed to get through both the factory restore, and the Windows re-install that I undertook (which took a couple of hours in total), if it was intermittently turning itself off?

Last edited:

Trending threads

Top Bottom