1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help: backing up iPOD onto laptop and using IPOD as external HDD

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dood, May 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have about 10 gigs of MP3s on my 40 gig iPOD which I want to upload to my laptop. I know that you need to show hidden files to access the iPOD but can someone guide me through this process please?

After that I want to transfer data from my laptop to my home computer and would like to use the iPOD as an external HDD. The data is about 15 gigs. How do I do this? Can the data and the MP3s co-exist on the iPOD?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    If you already have the music on your home computer as well as the iPod, it would be far easier to connect the laptop to the hone computer (assuming they are both at the same place!) by using a network connection. If you don't have a router or hub you can buy a crossover patch lead that will do the job.
    There is some information here about using your iPod as an external hard drive.

3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about doing it that way, but there are many utilities (shareware *and* freeware) that do this without fiddling with hidden files. Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and do a search for 'ipod'.

Otherwise JohnG's networked suggestion is probably best.

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    To transfer music from your ipod to your laptop you need to first make sure all auto update options in itunes on the laptop are disabled. It is best not to have itunes installed but at the least it should be closed.

Next connect your ipod and got to its directory

One of the folders there should contain all your music which within the main folder is organised into many folders. This should be copied from your ipod to your laptop and there you go.

I am not sure if folders are hidden but just go to tools>folder options>view>show hidden files and folders if they are.

To transfer your data, i presume you just uses your ipod as a drag and drop external hard drive into the ipods directory

Hope this helps!