HELP! - B&W DS6 THX Certified Dipole Surrounds

kenlong69

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was wondering how you would rate the above speakers for surounds?

Also how much would I pay for a second hand pair?

An what speakers are comparable?

Cheers for any help!!

Ken

My advise: forget it! They were developed for DPL (Dolby Pro-Logic) and are limited in their upper frequency range, I think they cut off around 8kHz already and thus are not suitable for "digital" surround sound which covers the entire frequency range from 20Hz - 20kHz.
That said they might not be bad speakers but rather not suitable. The price of a new pair was around GBP400 if I remember correctly and I always found this way to expensive, THX logo or not. If you still consider don't pay more than GBP50 for a pair ...

The DS6 goes back to the days of Pro-Logic only and that is reflected in their limited high frequency range of 8kHz. This is technically not high enough for the likes of Dolby Digital and DTS (which go up to 20kHz) but whether you would actually notice this in practice is another matter.

IMO they are pretty good dipoles, comparable with the likes of KEF's now discontinued 65DS, although the KEF went up to 20kHz.

The original price of the DS6 from memory was £400 so I would have thought you would be able to pick up a second hand pair for £200-£250.

They were designed, I believe, as part of the 600 range so they should match up pretty well with other 600 series speakers.

Below is a link to the owners manual for further information:

http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadfile/speakermodel/ACF207.pdf

Hope this helps.

Matt.

I have listened to them, too, as a friend did actually buy them. Hence my comment they do not sound bad but are rather not suitable.

I used to own a pair and will echo the comments above. B&W are lacking a decent surround speaker for the 600 series since they discontinues these, an upgrade and relaunch is what B&W should do.
BTW I got rid of mine pretty quickly as they were just not good enough for digital surround.

Briliant, cheers for all the replies!

CAn anyone suggest a good dipole speaker that would do DTS ES or DD EX?

CHeers,
Ken

Originally posted by kenlong69

CAn anyone suggest a good dipole speaker that would do DTS ES or DD EX?

Depending on budget. Kef THX Dipole (TDM 23), big but an excellent dipole speaker. Kef have added a dipole speaker to their new Q range as well.

Polk, Boston produce dipole speakers. I think Monitor Audio do some as well (might be bipoles though). Mission also have dipoles.

Cheers Jase... am I right in assuming that these will be the best option for surround on my THX system?

Ken

Originally posted by kenlong69
Cheers Jase... am I right in assuming that these will be the best option for surround on my THX system?

THX do specify dipoles as the surround speakers with direct radiators (monopoles) for surround back duties. Another alternative would be M&K and their SS150THX tripoles, but they are expensive (around 1200 quid).

if you can't stretch to the ss150 rears try the K4 tripoles at around £500, i used to have these and was very happy-got the ss150s now though! be aware when shopping with lizards though;)

Another alternative would be M&K and their SS150THX tripoles, but they are expensive (around 1200 quid).
If you're considering M&K tripoles in that kind of price bracket then you might be better off talking to Uncle Eric about something in M&K's professional range. Of course if you wanted to you could go all the way up to the 2525 or even 2525P (active) versions, but they're a bit pricier.

Cheers you guys! That's great... what a load of replies!!

I love this forum!!!

I have about £200 or less to spend on some rear speakers.

I currently have 2x Paradigm Titans as my main rears but I've got a 7.1 setup now and need 2 more.

The paradigms sound great as they are full range. I thought I'd use them as my rear-rears and to get some dipoles for my left/right rears.

Is this a good idea? And what could I get for around £200?

Cheers,
Ken

Jase... aren't you selling Kef THX Dipole (TDM 23)? Or do you not want to split?

Ken

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom