Help! AV32R fault

fraggle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My AV32R started playing up last night.

When I initially turned it on it had completely lost all settings and the backup of the settings I'd made :eek:

So after setting things up again we settled down to watch Die Hard 2.

About 2/3rds the way through the film the sound just cut out completely and wouldn't come back, so I turned the TVs sound on and watched the rest of the film.

After, having a look at the AV32R, it was sitting there in a loop, seemingly resetting itself non-stop? It came on with the SELFTEST message, then said "Going to Standby", went to standby, then about a second later the Selftest message appeared again. Sometimes it reset itself before going to standby, with the Selftest message flickering off and on again. Even after pulling the power and plugging it back ain again it does the same thing.

The unit wasn't running particularily hot, just nice and warm at the front (can't tell how hot it is at the back since can't reach it very well at all).

Definitely sounds like a PSU problem to me. Has anyone had this problem before?

Any advice greatly appreciated! :lease:

Richard
Sad TMA owner :(

Richard

Sounds like the same problem I had a few Christmas's ago and as far as I can remember it was a SHARC problem :thumbsdow

Call the helpdesk tomorrow and they'll let you know for sure. Are you getting any error codes on start-up?

Kenny Glasgow said:
Richard

Sounds like the same problem I had a few Christmas's ago and as far as I can remember it was a SHARC problem :thumbsdow

Call the helpdesk tomorrow and they'll let you know for sure. Are you getting any error codes on start-up?
Where are the error codes displayed? If its on the units display then its not showing any.

I don't suppose it stores the last error code somewhere and its accessible through a service menu?

Richard

Richard

When you turn on the AV32R it may show the error code in the display window, which I'm sure mine did when I had similar problems.

If it is a SHARC problem it will probably have to go back for a new SHARC :(

Kenny Glasgow said:
Richard

When you turn on the AV32R it may show the error code in the display window, which I'm sure mine did when I had similar problems.

If it is a SHARC problem it will probably have to go back for a new SHARC :(

It doesn't show any error code, just the "SelfTest", "Going to Standby" (sometimes) and then resets like someones flicked the power off and on.

How much did it cost you to get you SHARC replaced?

Luckily my unit was under guarentee so I did not cost me anything :thumbsup:

However it did cost me £700 as I had the DAB module fitted when it was back with TAG :smashin:

I suppose you have checked that the mains lead is inserted correctly (or better still try another one) and the remote isn't faulty (take the batteries out). Just a thought........

The only time I've seen this happen was when the unit fails its "self test" but that usually gives an error code, continually rebooting is a new one on me.....Maybe Steve/Udo can shed some light? Mind you I have to say that one isolated failure 5 years ago on our original unit (the others have never given trouble) isn't that bad just so everyone knows that the things are normally very reliable....... :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm back from "windy" Florida....... :eek:

Hi,
Didn't get a chance to phone the helpdesk today, will watch a film tonight and see if it does it again. Its OK for a while after its turned on (or it was). I'll try to get it to go wrong again and see if it shows any error codes on the OSD or units display. I'll swap mains leads as well.

I don't use the units remote, use a Pronto which works fine (doesn't cause anything else to go mad!)

I've read in here that the new service centre is very slow in repairing units (they were in the process of relocating?) Is this still the case?

I think they are just very busy rather than slow..I guess giving them a call wil give you an idea of the time it would be gone..!

Cheers

Matt

Well watched Jurassic Park I tonight and it was fine...

So next is to leave it on MTV all tomorrow and see what happens.

heat related? Is the unit in free air?

GrahamMG said:
heat related? Is the unit in free air?
The units in a Longbow AV cabinet which has ventilation holes in all the shelves and an open back.

The unit doesn't get any hotter now than it did before I put it in the cabinet, but it definitely only goes wrong after its been on for a few hours.

It definitely starts resetting itself after being turned on for a few hours (don't know exactly how long it took as it was ok when I went to bed, and resetting the next morning).

The units warm to touch, but definitely not hot.

Its been fine before it was put in the cabinet :confused:

I might try running it with the top off to try to aid cooling. And buy a tin of freezer spray to see which bits getting overheated or faulty.

Definitely broken then........Our original AV32R did have a heat issue with one particular IC many many years ago and I assume your unit is newer than ours so its probably something else, our units get "very" warm and never act up at all so unless your unit is too hot to pick up comfortably you have a fault and back to the menders it will go.......
I'd be curious if your unit behaves itself sat on top of the unit which may indicate that it always had the fault just waiting for the right conditions to misbehave. I very much doubt that the Longbow furniture would ever increase the temperature beyond the TAG gear's maximium as the Foster brothers are far too good for that, I would recommend their gear to anyone :smashin:
So broken it is, and time to test IAG's service department out, I'm sure you will let us know how you get on..... I can't recommend you use freezer spray though, you may well know what your doing but others who read this might be tempted with predictable results.....

It does sound as if the faults always been there and like you say its just not been in a cabinet before where it gets warm enough to trigger the fault.

I've used freezer spray to identify faulty IC/transistors for years working for the MOD & others, a staple tool :) but I suppose even if I did find the fault there'd not be a lot I could do about it as I don't have access to a SMC workstation to replace any faulty ICs :(.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes when it does reset a couple of the display segments light up really brightly, indicating to me that a clock somewhere is stopping, either causing the reset or caused by it.

Time to find IAGs phone number...

I would suggest contacting IAG.

This sounds as like a CPU fault - if the display segments are lighting up very brightly you run a serious risk of permanent damage to the VFD....

Emailed IAG. I thought I'd get the price of an upgrade to a DP unit, just out of curiosity.

I'm glad I was sitting down when I read the reply... upgrade would cost a paltry £1644.95p.... hope the repair's cheaper!

Its got the 192 DACs.

I think buying a used DP will be way cheaper in total!

Just to get TMREQ, that kind of money is too much :(

Oooh, thats a thing, *what* is this "old machine charge"? What does it cover? What do they do for it?

No idea.. but if the machine is over 18 months old they charge it :( Mines from 2000 so anything I have done to it will have the additional charge.. but if I then upgraded again within the next 18 months after getting the machine back then you are not charged.. cheeky if you ask me..

Still deciding if I will go the for 192 DACS at some point !

Cheers

Matt

I think its to do with the older boards having a fair bit of work needed to bring them up to scratch hence the premium, personally I'd have a new board fitted if a DP upgrade is wanted. That is exactly what we did when we had our original SP 5.1 unit replaced. Not cheap but it does work and sound faultless. Is the warrenty different on upgrades/new units as well and maybe worth thinking about? You don't see many second hand DP units for sale though (wonder why!), nothing better to buy maybe ;)

fraggle said:
Its got the 192 DACs.

I think buying a used DP will be way cheaper in total!

Just to get TMREQ, that kind of money is too much :(

Hi, It's not 'just' TMREQ, the DP is in more ways an improvement (more processing power thus higher quality processing, improved power supply, improved grounding etc) This all results in quite a big improvement over the SP. (which is of course already very nice)

I was told 3 months warranty on upgrades.. not sure about large jobs to dp (which I thought was a bit short.)

Though to my ears the sp sounds great.. wonder if I would notice the diff with the 192 dacs ??

So fraggle any idea on the cost of repair?

Hi Matt.

You will hear quite a difference when you go to 192kHz DAC's especially with CD material. I was very sceptical when we had our unit done when the new DAC's were announced years ago but it was a distinct improvement.

Going to DP is another noticable improvement across the whole range of features and sound formats even before TMREQ is dialed in, after TMREQ it is a whole world different.......Start saving.......

I would be a bit surprised if only 3 months warrenty was offered on a DP upgrade (although I can see 3 months being the case with 192kHz DAC only jobs), I thought it was at least 1 year with an option to increase it to the new product's 2 years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom