• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! - AV Amp cutting out, equipment the problem?

Atchi123

Hi
Pls see my equipment set-up in my sig. My Denon amp has worked fine for 9 months or so but all of a sudden has begun completely shutting down sporadically - all connections are secure, banana plugged with no stray wires and power through a mains conditioner. If left for a few days it will seem to reset and allow itself to be turned on again but will fail shortly afterwards. Its been back twice to the retailer but they cannot replicate the fault. Could this be another piece of equipment tripping it? I have a hunch it might be my sub - no particular reason for thinking that though! Anyone shed any light pls?!

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Use a process of elimination.

Disconnect the SUB if you think it is that. (?)
Bypass the mains conditioner. (Faulty)
Double check all the speaker connections. (Shorts)
If something is placed on top of the AV amp then remove it. (Heat)
If the AV amp is not in a open framed rack then pull it out and try. (Heat)
Get a mains extension cable and plug into the room elsewhere. (Faulty mains socket)

Atchi123

cheers for the advice although I can rule out most of those already:
Nothing on top of it - not heat.
Just acquired the mains conditioner and this was happening before then.
checked all speaker connections.
I think it may be a case of disconnecting each piece of equipment in turn as you suggested though.

Helicon

Banned
If it's an internal thing, try unplugging everything from the amp, and see if it just cuts out on it's own. If it's fine, then it's not the amp itself. Plug your DVD source back in, but add in the speakers one at a time. Connect the front pair, use it normally for a bit, then add centre etc. Hopefully that'll narrow it down.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
If it's an internal thing, try unplugging everything from the amp, and see if it just cuts out on it's own. If it's fine, then it's not the amp itself. Plug your DVD source back in, but add in the speakers one at a time. Connect the front pair, use it normally for a bit, then add centre etc. Hopefully that'll narrow it down.

Good advice.

Atchi123

I have just tried it completely unplugged and it still shuts off which strongly suggests that its not my equipment! Back to Denon methinks...

dood

This sounds like a fault that developed with my Denon AVR3300 some time ago. Intermittent failure of sound output from all channels, but power still goes to the receiver and the LCD display is normal. When it works it's 100%.

Unfortunately I was never able to get it fixed. I sent it off to Denon who initially couldn't replcate the fault but did admit to seeing some dry joints which they re-soldered. This did not resolve the problem. I then took it to a third party chap to fix and he sorted more dry joints and replaced a capacitor. It was an improvement (failed less frequently) but didn't eliminate the problem.

I was reading the yamaha 2700 thread today and someone there had a similar problem which turned out to be a fault with the power supply. On the Denon I would also check out the cooling fan which if faulty may be causing it to overheat.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom