Help attaching Wii to AV Onkyo SR506

Hopefull100

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello There,

I hope someone can help me as I am going slightly mad here.

I have recently bought a Onkyo SR506 Av unit. I have setup a PV Recorder on HDMI1 with a seperate optical lead, a blueray on HDMI2 with a seperate optical lead, an IPOD dock on tape input and I have all these working fine. But I cannot get my Wii console to work. I have tried attaching the Wii using a composite cable and also a componant cable. I have tried assigning various channels to what I think it connected at the back with no luck, all I am able to do is get the audio to work from the composite L and R plugs, no sign of any picture at all. The Wii is working as I can connect it to the LCD TV but cannot enjoy the surround sound I would get from connecting it to the AV unit. I am I doing somthing wrong here or have I got a defective unit.

Thanks in advance for your help. Nick.

I reckon from reading other posts about the same problem that if you connect by composite for picture you will also need a composite out from the Receiver to the TV (and the same if you use a component connection for the Wii).

I have the 606 amp, but had the same confusing problem.

I have mine connected as follows.

Blu Ray/PS3/Cable Box all go into HDMI and out again.

I bought a Component cable for the Wii ages ago and this goes from the Wii to the amp and is plugged into the two audio ports marked Game/TV and the Component inputs for the visuals. I then had to buy another component lead that is just the 3 R/G/B wires for the visuals which goes back to the TV from the Component Out part of the amp.

I then had to fiddle with Input Assigning to get the Game/TV mode to show both the audio & pictures. Works now.

Don't know what connection differences there are with the 506 & 606, but give it a whirl.

Thanks for the advice so far. :smashin:

I will buy an extra componant to componant cable (green, blue and red) and give the last suggestion a go. I don't have any connections at the back of the AV labled 'Game/TV' so I will try the componants labled 'Assignable/IN1 DVD' for the video and the separate componant audio connectors labled 'In DVD'.

As a workaround I have connected a blue/yellow/red componant cable from the Wii to the componant audio for VCR/DVR and have connected the yellow video connection direct into the LCD. :thumbsup: That seems to work but I guess I'm not enjoying the best picture I would eventually get by connecting video through my AV. At least I have sound via AV.

We shall see, any other ideas gratefully received. My head hurts!

You could just connect the Wii directly to the TV using component and just send the audio to the amp. Just because there are video inputs, doesn't mean you have to use them, they are only there for the convenience of video switching, as the 506 neither upscales or upconverts any video inputs.

Also - ByTheFireplace, if you do have a 606, then your amp does upconvert, so you should be able to connect via component from the Wii to the amp and then output it via HDMI to your TV. You do not require a extra component to the tv, unlike the OP with the 506.

Last edited:
Reading this thread has confused me and concerned me slightly.

Being an avid gamer ( wii sport tennis!!!!) I am looking to buy the 606 so I can run the wii through it via HDMI.

Will this not work?

Thanks

Reading this thread has confused me and concerned me slightly.

Being an avid gamer ( wii sport tennis!!!!) I am looking to buy the 606 so I can run the wii through it via HDMI.

Will this not work?

Thanks

The Wii doesn't have an HDMI output so its composite/component in and composite/component out to TV.

BTW i like the Tennis and the bowling.

Hi William,

I was told in RS that if I connected the wii via component to the 606 I could use it via the hdmi connection on the amp to the tv?

Hi William,

I was told in RS that if I connected the wii via component to the 606 I could use it via the hdmi connection on the amp to the tv?

They may be right I am not familiar with the 606 and its upoconverting abilities but if it doesnt work for you my previous post is the remedy.

Reading DWHITES post the 606 does upconvert, he suggests component which should yield a better picture.

Enjoy your tennis!

Last edited:
Thanks DWhite for the clarification, that sounds like a simple solution that I'll try.

Just to clarify:

The 606 will upconvert (change composite, svideo and component inputs to HDMI output)

The 506 will not upconvert. So you need to make the same connection to the tv, if you go thru the amp, (composite in, composite out, svideo in svideo out etc).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom