HELP: ATI Rdeon 9550 TV-Out Problem! :(

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PRINCEGRINCH, Mar 2, 2005.

1. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, I got a Gold Series IXOS (Scart) - (S-Video + 2 X Phono) Cable today to connect the S-Video (Tv-Out) to the Scart Socket on my TV. But this is proving to be a problem. The picture being output has alot of interference, noise and not the correct colours.

I have tried updating the Catalyst Drivers, different refresh rates, different resolutions and anything else I could think of but no luck. The image seems to be the same in Boot up (Before XP is loaded).

I have tried this cable with my DVD recorder to the TV. It only works in NON RGB Mode. I does NOT work if I select RGB as my TV is not RGB.

Is the ATI Radeon outputting an RGB Signal via the S-Video out? If so, how do I disable it? I remember with my nVIDIA Card I had to change the setting from S-Video Out to Composite Out, only then I used to get a good clean Picture. But the ATI Catalyst Driver does not seem to have the setting to disable one and enable the other.

Can someone please help me sort this problem out. I'd be very greatful.

Thanks in advance

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Is it a directional cable?

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you selected the correct PAL variant? IIRC S-Video is known as 'TV out' and you need to set it appropriately. Again, IIRC you get at this setting for the device in the 'Displays' tab of the Control Panel.

4. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,915
    Are you sure the TV supports SVideo on SCART? If the TV doesn't do RGB on SCART, I doubt it can do SVideo... maybe it only supports composite video on SCART. Out of interest, by not the right colours, do you mean black and white?

Cheers

James

5. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully with your expert help I'll get around the problem:

STRIPE: The signal ONLY travels from S-Video to Scart

KraGorn: TV-Out has been selected in Display Properties/Advance/Catalyst

jfinnie: The TV does support S-Video, as it has a connection for it at the front (which I don't want to use). It does not support RGB Scart, but it DOES Support Component.

Any other ideas? Please keep them coming, I'll keep you updated with the progeress.

Thanks again

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But did you check the type of video signal that was configured for the TV-out?

I'm pretty sure there's somewhere you need to select NTSC or PAL and if PAL which variant. Bring up the properties for the TV-out on that dialog tab by clicking the button at the top of the connection's panel, where the 'on/off' button is at the left-hand end.

7. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, yes there are Pal Varians, either by Country or Format. I've tried by selecting:

1 - UK = Does not work
    2 - PAL I = Does not work
    3 - All other Pal Variants B,D,H etc Do not work

Is this what you mean by Pal variants?

8. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the svideo over scart suggestion is probably the root cause here.

if your tv has a svideo socket at the front, why dont you just plug the svideo from the pc to the svideo of the tv and do a test? if it all works fine (which it should) this proves that your tv doesnt do svideo THROUGH the scart sockets AND it proves that the pc is outputting a perfectly good svideo signal. Svideo over scart isnt part of the original scart standard and hence you cant just assume it will work on any old scart socket.

Some of the pins for composite on the scart socket were hijacked when the "svideo over scart" malarky was introduced, so, probably, your tv is listening on the composite pins of the scart connector, and getting half an svideo signal, either minus the chrominance or the luminance pins, which is making the picture looks like a dogs breakfast.

To get composite from the radeon card they get supplied with a special splitter cable, which I believe has a resistor and a capacitor embedded into it. This cable wouldve been supplied with the card. If you really cant use the svideo at the front, you would need to use this cable, run it into a composite-->scart convertor and just be happy with composite

nvidia card can output svideo OR composite through the same socket depending on the driver settings, so they dont need the special cable as per the radeons

9. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Werner: I have just tried the direct s-video to s-video connection to the TV and I get exactly the same results. So I don;t think its a problem with that, thanks anyways.

Any one have any other ideas/suggestions?

10. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any other ideas? I'm still struggling with this.