HELP! Asus S200E HDD upgrade

SatDude

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought an asus s200e from comet and i'm having huge problems with the hdd upgrade.

The asus came with an 500gb hitachi and I want to upgrade it with a 256gb Samsung 830, on to the issue. I haven't got restore cd's and asus didn't provide software to create any... so I tried to clone the drive.
The original drive is larger than the ssd so the cloning fails, I've tried Norton ghost, reflect, clonezilla... and nothing worked. it clones part of the hard drive but not the key partitions e.g. system, restore, c:, etc.

What am I doing wrong? I've even tried to install W8 on it via the install.wim file on the recovery partition but then it wouldn't boot into the ssd and was only going to bios...

Any ideas?? :eek:

I have a S200E and intend to put an SSD in mine but don't want to clone the original hard drive, I prefer a clean install but I think Acronis is worth trying or would partitioning the original hard disk before cloning solve the smaller target drive issue?

BTW, Did you have any issues opening/closing the S200E chassis?

Hi, how are you planning to do the clean install?

Opening the asus was ok, you have to start from under the screen and work your way around the chassis.

I would prefer a clean install but i haven't got a subscription to download an msdn iso... Or am i missing something?

I don't have a MSDN account either but I do have a valid license so all that's needed is a clean Win8 iso that can be obtained from the usual places.

This is a ridiculous situation though, what happens if someone's hard drive fails? There really should be media included with every machine or at least the ability to download from the OEM.

Right.... Got thw w8 iso and used the windows 7 usb/dvd software to make it bootable but can't it to load!

Really annoyed now and i think i might leave it for today....

Have you changed the bios so that the w8 device is first on the boot list?. If it does not boot then you may have to install windows 7 then install win 8 from inside the o/s! If you do choose to go down this road then when installing win 8 there is a option to keep nothing from your previous o/s. Click on that and once win 8 is up and running there will be a folder in the root of c called windows old delete that as it will contain all of your old operating system's files and it runs into 8gb+.

This method worked for me and my windows 8 is like a fresh install.

Link to download win 7 iso.

Windows 7 ISO x86 and x64 Official Direct Download Links (Ultimate, Professional and Home Premium) « My Digital Life

Got it! I will post a "how to" tomorrow... but in essence you need to:

1. Use software to get you windows key
2. Get windows 8 iso
3. Load W8 iso to usb (used 8gb)
4. Use software to convert usb drive file system from NTFS to FAT32 (the Asus will not boot NTFS!!! only FAT)
5. Install SSD
6. Install W8 from USB

:eek:

Hi,

I opened the s200e and replaced the HDD with an SSD (Samsung 830). Then I tried to install Windows 7 from an external CDROM, but I think the bios is locked to Windows 8 only. I then tried to install Windows 7 on the original HDD and it froze just before I got to the installation wizard.

I think Asus are known for making it difficult for the general public to modify their netbooks.

I also noticed that the RAM is soldered to the motherboard (not cool).

I have checked every setting in the bios and I have no idea how to allow for Windows 7. All I want to do is install Windows 7 from a CD onto an SSD!

Can anyone help me/us? :)

Ok to access your bios screen first unplug from the mains and disconnect then reconnect your battery.
Power up the laptop with the external cdrom plugged in with the bootable dvd in the drive and press f2 when the asus logo appears your bios screen should look like this.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- FAQ S200E

Side arrow over to the boot option and you should see a screen like the one below change the options so the external drive or usb is first on the list then move across to save and exit option the laptop should now re-start and boot to the windows 7 disk.

There is a good general guide here to follow it's not ssd specif tho.

http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-7-install-guide/

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 4,190
Last edited:
Hi,

I did that, but when I installed the SSD the bios locked itself and did not show me the boot options. When I replaced the original HDD I had access to the boot menu. I think Asus have locked it down? I am not 100% sure, I will try again tonight. The only problem is that the case is a bugger to get off!

Cheers.

I can't see how a ssd upgrade can stop you from accessing the bios satdude said in his origional post that when he put the ssd he was able to enter bios.

"What am I doing wrong? I've even tried to install W8 on it via the install.wim file on the recovery partition but then it wouldn't boot into the ssd and was only going to bios..".

You can access the bios, but not the boot options with the SSD installed.

Last edited:
You're right, with the ssd installed you won't see any other options... now format a usb stick using FAT32 and test it, and you'll see the option there.

That's how i noticed i had to change the usb drive from NTSF to FAT32 once windows 8 was loaded into it. I used Kungsoft NTFS to FAT32 Editor 2.1

SatDude, so how are you sure Windows 8 OEM will work if it only recognises FAT32?

I am trying your tip regarding FAT32. Will let you know how I get on.

SatDude, you are a legend.

I am running Ubuntu perfectly thanks to your advice.

I am not sure that I will be able to get the touch-screen working on Ubuntu, but to be honest it just gets loads of finger prints on it anyway :)

Glad you've managed to get it sorted in the end! I'm waiting for Asus to get back to me regarding W8 key... they called me yesterday and i argued that i now own a windows key so i want it!

Not sure if that's how it works but i guess we can always try right?!

It's quite fast with W8 using the ssd but how does it perform with Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is running very fast. Chrome opens google.co.uk ready to use within a second. The OS boots and shutsdown really quick. I am very happy. I even installed Steam, which requires the beta test version.

I'm waiting for Asus to get back to me regarding W8 key... they called me yesterday and i argued that i now own a windows key so i want it!
Can you elaborate? What's the issue with the Windows key, didn't Win 8 automatically register via the bios (slic)?

I'll probably fit an SSD in mine by this weekend.

SatDude, how did you install Windows 8 90 day trial onto your Asus? Did you download the Windows 8 ISO from the MS website onto a FAT32 USB stick?

2010 said:
Can you elaborate? What's the issue with the Windows key, didn't Win 8 automatically register via the bios (slic)?

I'll probably fit an SSD in mine by this weekend.

I haven't got a OEM copy of windows 8 so i rang asus to as for a key or installation dvd's.

Maybe it will automatically register but i don't know as all i have is the evaluation copy.

bassist4 said:
SatDude, how did you install Windows 8 90 day trial onto your Asus? Did you download the Windows 8 ISO from the MS website onto a FAT32 USB stick?

Bassist4, i downloaded the w8 evaluation iso from microsoft and then used the windows 7 usb tool to make the bootable usb stick.

This usb will be ntfs and has to be converted to fat using software.

KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean
I used the above program to find my win 8 key.
Just bought Paragon 12 hard disk manager on sale for a couple of days $29.95 dollars, this can clone to same size or larger and also to a smaller drive like a ssd. Not used it yet

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom