Help! Artefact on Bravia KDL-40V2000

Labourer

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just bought a new Sony KDL-40V2000. It looks and sounds great, but there's one thing odd. It appears that the left half of the screen and the right half of the screen have ever-so-slightly different contrast or brightness settings; the effect is normally imperceptible, but when showing an image panning left or right, it becomes an obvious distraction as a straight vertical line down the middle of the panel.

This happens irrespective or source (Normal TV aerial through co-ax or DVD, either SCART or Component connected)

Anyone heard of this before, or have any tips before I start bugging the people at Sony?

Thanks!

Pallaris

Yeah I know what you mean. I have the exact same thing on my S2500. Especially noticeable if the image is panning over a solid color. Another way to see is switch to a blank input and look at the screen from an angle...the lines (and I've got more of a central one too with a different brightness/contrast either side) are most obvious there.

Apparently these are bands or something...but tbh it's not really noticable if you're viewing straight on. Apparently some Sony V/S 25x tv's have this problem and others do not.

Pretty annoyed with everthing right now. I don't think there's a single TV that isn't gimped in some way out there. You just learn to deal with the imperfections. That said if I knew how to thoroughly test these things during my 7 day cool off period It would have gone back for a replacement. Only thing I did was the dark room/even backlight test -- which genuinely appears even when viewed dead on.

I'm going to stick with this and then upgrade to 1080p with the next X series Iteration..and then I wont stand for nothing.

Labourer

Standard Member
Thanks Pallaris.

Interesting to hear that it might be design flaw, rather than just a monday-morning manufacturing error. I'm glad you don't find it too noticeable from straight-on viewing position - I'm sitting straight-on about 9 feet from mine and it's driving me nuts!

Any other owners of a KDL-40V2000 out there? If these is just *one* who doesn't have this problem then I think my panel's going back to Sony...

Thanks in advance.

marcstang

I have a 40S2530 and mine is ok. I checked for banding and lamp bleed against a blank AV input at max backlight and brightness and didn't find anything. It seems that not all panels are affected by this.

Merkor

Yeah, this effect is called "banding" (search the forums). My 32V2500 suffers from this, too. My first one had 2-3 banding bars. The second one has one bar "only".

Check with this test pictures for banding:

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testbild1360qk8.jpg

Display it full screen in a dark room and watch out for banding and ghost bars. I really would like to see photographies of your findings (dark room, steady camera). :)

It's mostly apparent when watching soccer or anything were the camera pans vertically on uniform colored areas... :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom