Help : Arendal 1723 vs B&W ct7.4 advice

Bippu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hoping for a bit of advice. I’m looking for a set of speakers for a 7.2.2 setup. I have dedicated room 6.6x3.6m for movies and music.
I’m looking at
Arendal 1723s thx tower,centre,triple surrounds with sub1v and sub3
Or
B&W CT7.4 LCRS all round
With 2x SVS2000 pro sub

Did you ask from Shane (SpareChange Youtube) as he runs those B&Ws and owns those Arendals too well the monitor version?! Would need to hear both, but i would be suprised if the B&Ws really get anywhere close to Arendals. You could also consider the full fat monitors as their stands are on sale now, together with those they look like "towers"!

B&W for some reason isn`t that popular at AVForums, you probably have better luck asking about those in B&W speaker owners thread at AVSForum (US).

Subwoofer wise those Arendals should be great, the new 1723 1V. The Sub 3 has HPF set at 17hz so it limits the deep bass output below 25hz, while the new range gives you full power down to 10hz. So if you are deep bass fanatic then perhaps i would consider the newer model.

SVS PB2000 Pro or PB3000 are solid choices! Although you can get Monoprice 12" THX for 841£/each and it´s quite on par with PB2K Pro (999£) or slightly better.

Best subwoofer deal if you are dreaming to blow the roof off then get Monolith 15" THX straight away. There is nothing touching this at 1367£! Closest competitors cost 2250-2300£ (SVS PB4000 and Arendal 1723 2V).

Hi , A kind person on the US side knows him and asked him for me.
He said it's tough choice but he'd give the edge to the Arendals if you want more dynamic sound.
I can't help think though is that 9 months later he has kept with the B&W. Maybe its a preference thing. Annoyingly impossible for me to compare.
Looking at REL subs 1505 and a 1205 how do the compare to the SVS and monolith ?
Thanks for the links price might be the decider.

Hi , A kind person on the US side knows him and asked him for me.
He said it's tough choice but he'd give the edge to the Arendals if you want more dynamic sound.
I can't help think though is that 9 months later he has kept with the B&W. Maybe its a preference thing. Annoyingly impossible for me to compare.
Looking at REL subs 1505 and a 1205 how do the compare to the SVS and monolith ?
Thanks for the links price might be the decider.

Perhaps he has sold them? He gets stuff constantly from somewhere.

The REL models are sealed by design. They won`t give you as much output in the region of 18-36hz and not similar tactile response/impact. The Predator HT/1502 is clearly great product, but then you have also sealed models like Arendal 1723 1S and PSA S1512. Although with Arendal i would go with 1V cause you can drive it ported/sealed and gain the extra cabinet size with it over 1S.

If you are tired reading then listen video:

Couple of these would be awesome no doubt, but they are not cheap and there is some tiny extra fees due to Brexit.

The choices are unbelievable.
My building isn't that bigl 7mx4m and its single skin, Ive studded it out so lost a minimal bit space.
The Music is as important to me as the Cinema so any speaker and Sub combo needs to be able to do both well.
Monoliths look incredible and solid music review.
I think maybe the Arendal S versions might be better in this room ? What do you think ?
I'd have to recess the side surrounds in a bit as there is not much room on the side once the chairs in marked out in polystyrene.
Arendal
1723 Tower S THX - Black Satin
1723 Center S THX - Black Satin
1723 Surround S THX - Black Satin
1723 Subwoofer 1V - Black Satin - Or alternatives
1723 Subwoofer 3 - Black Satin - Or alternatives

B&W which I've been assured the inwall/ceiling match
B&W CT7.4 LCRS Speaker
B&W CWM7.4 S2 In Wall Speaker
B&W CCM7.5 S2 Ceiling Speaker
REL Acoustics HT/1205 Subwoofer - Or Alternatives
REL Acoustics HT/1508 Predator Subwoofer - Or Alternatives

I've attached a couple photos so you can see the state/stage/size of what I have.
I' also worried about the VAT being slapped on the Arendal's as you order from Norway. That would push them out of budget.

Attachments

• 2AD4BFB1-67D1-4C82-A34D-9460AEC34F48.jpeg
    2AD4BFB1-67D1-4C82-A34D-9460AEC34F48.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 8C578556-C17F-42E7-B736-6837A533689C.jpeg
    8C578556-C17F-42E7-B736-6837A533689C.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I am leaning towards the Arendal now and I think a 12 & 15 monoliths have to go in regardless of what speakers :)

Maybe this is a winning combo

1723 towers
1723 centre
1961 heights x4
1961 surround x4

Subs - monoliths are just too big a foot print
Svs pb3000
svs pb2000
Amp
anthem 1140 + anthem mca325

@dts197 probably remembers which size room Arendal recommended the full fat 1723?

Below is member dts197 1723S system with dual PB16U in 5x4 room! It`s not really small, huh?

20200829_011708-jpg.1356956

AVO has new refurb units from SVS with full warranty and in mint condition. Only outside box "damaged". They go for 1279£ so good saving!

I would re-think the poweramp choice unless you own it already. You could save some easily with Emotiva example.

Thanks real bargains to be had.
I have 3.6m width to play with looks like it will be a wall of sound. Save and monolith They are actually similar size just totally different weight.
Something appealing about a 75kg subwoofer.
Even the 1723s dont exactly look small. Think I’ll have to measure it though. Was planning an 8ft screen.
I’ll look into that power amp main reason for it is playing my vinyl.
Do you run the Arendal setup ?

@dts197 probably remembers which size room Arendal recommended the full fat 1723?

Below is member dts197 1723S system with dual PB16U in 5x4 room! It`s not really small, huh?

20200829_011708-jpg.1356956

AVO has new refurb units from SVS with full warranty and in mint condition. Only outside box "damaged". They go for 1279£ so good saving!

I would re-think the poweramp choice unless you own it already. You could save some easily with Emotiva example.
Pretty sure I didn't get a reccomendation on what size speakers to get. They didn't say it was a problem when I mentioned possibly get the full size towers up front recently though.

I got a reply from Arendal
They saying the additional cost is UK VAT + 2,5% which I pay to DHL.
Space wise they said:
Usually we recommend to put the Towers 20-30 cm from the back wall and similar to the side walls. Toe in.
We have several tips regarding the placement in the Handbook.
Must be good having those PB16U double front. Do they work well in your room ?

Thanks real bargains to be had.
I have 3.6m width to play with looks like it will be a wall of sound. Save and monolith They are actually similar size just totally different weight.
Something appealing about a 75kg subwoofer.
Even the 1723s dont exactly look small. Think I’ll have to measure it though. Was planning an 8ft screen.
I’ll look into that power amp main reason for it is playing my vinyl.
Do you run the Arendal setup ?
No, but i`m looking the smaller ones at later date. New house has smaller room, but still neighbours.

Monoliths are real deal no doubt and for such good price! Amazing!

No, but i`m looking the smaller ones at later date. New house has smaller room, but still neighbours.

Monoliths are real deal no doubt and for such good price! Amazing!
Think it going to be x2

I got a reply from Arendal
They saying the additional cost is UK VAT + 2,5% which I pay to DHL.
Space wise they said:
Usually we recommend to put the Towers 20-30 cm from the back wall and similar to the side walls. Toe in.
We have several tips regarding the placement in the Handbook.
Must be good having those PB16U double front. Do they work well in your room ?

Perhaps @dts197 didn`t see this.

Yep either two 12" or 15"s which ever work best would be great no doubt. Youtube has owner reviews and comparisons if you fancy to read more. Also Audioholics has reviewed/measured the 12" model too.

Always loved your setup
Thanks. I've actually just decorated in here this week and managed to move the surrounds back and down a little. So I'm sat at my preferred distance, with the surrounds a touch behind me. Hard to capture the colour in a photo.

The wall keeps whispering projector to me. 😂

Last edited:
Thanks. I've actually just decorated in here this week and managed to move the surrounds back and down a little. So I'm sat at my preferred distance, with the surrounds a touch behind me. Hard to capture the colour in a photo.

The wall keeps whispering projector to me. 😂

View attachment 1500277
Are those S towers ? For some reason they look so tiny in the pic.

Yes, s towers.
Oh I know why they look a tad smaller .. you are using the rubber floor things instead of the spikes ? Also how do you like the pb16s with the arendals?

Oh I know why they look a tad smaller .. you are using the rubber floor things instead of the spikes ? Also how do you like the pb16s with the arendals?
I wasn't aware there was a difference. As far as I know, I used what was called the spikes kit. I think they're really good, although I still have used REW to see how it all looks.

I wasn't aware there was a difference. As far as I know, I used what was called the spikes kit. I think they're really good, although I still have used REW to see how it all looks.
Yea there are two options in the spike kit .. rubber ones and the larger metal spikes that sit in the little metal discs if you are on a wood floor. I originally used the rubber ones but Arendal said the metal ones are what they recommend even on wood floor .. just use the included little discs under the spike. The speaker sits higher as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom