1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Are actives only near field?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sniper, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

I need some help from ppl with experience using active speakers in a largish room as their home cinema setup!

Basically my room is 21' by 14' - screen on the narrow wall and seating 10' away.

I was considering an active setup using these components:

5 (maybe 6) Blue Sky SAT 6.5s,
    a Blue Sky SUB12
    and an NAD T163 Pre-Amp Processor (would like a Lexicon but not within reach!!!)

Now: got a couple of issues (or unanswered questions).

The blue skys (like any active monitor) are described by everyone as near-field monitors and imply a listening distance of 3 to 5 feet in a studio enviroment - I don't want a studio but i'll be 10 feet away!! Anyone thinks (knows) this will be a problem?

Has anyone used a Blue Sky Sub12 in a similar sized room? Specs say that freq. response is fine in room up to 3000 cubic feet - mine is under that, but i still wonder as the thing seems smallish. I heard it in a 12' square room and it was super - but no home demoing allowed this side of the world! Alternatively i could get an SVS - but still no home demo!

And finally - The NAD - it does not have balaced outputs, meaning i'll have to run a couple unbalanced 30' rca leads (gulp). Will that pickup radio bagdad?? I would like to use XLRs but the only pre-amps with that spec cost too much (for me).

Thanks - any input will be appreciated!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not all active speakers are near field as M&K for one make some quite large active speakers. I can't speak for Blue Sky as I haven't heard them but I use M&K speakers which are near field professional speakers although passive and not active and they fill my admittedly slightly smaller room with sound at very high levels.

If you are going down the active route why not try out something from the Genelec range. I have heard a couple of different models at around Blue Sky prices and was very impressed. They will probably also hold their value better as Blue Sky is relatively unknown

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    M&K S150P .... aaa i dream about them & yeah - i know they can fill my room with sound... but they're just too much for my budget! :(

Genelec.... super stuff too - but do they actuall have speakers in the BlueSky price range?? Any particular model?

And - just in case you don't mind some reading here a review of the BlueSky's

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5435

Note: the review mentions that the founder of Blue Sky is actually an Ex-M&K guy! .... they do look like your S85 with an inbuilt amp don't they ?? ;)

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Ian doesn't have the S85s, he has the pro version, the MPS1510.

Genelec 8030s would be in your price range there, also don't discount something like the Mackie 624s which can be had very cheap now. Having owned Blueskies I can also say how great they are for movies. Never heard the sub12 though...

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    yep - i know (read the signature) - very similar though (sorry if i offened you IanJ) !!

I'll have a look at those Genelec for sure - I've heard all about the Mackie and read some favorable reviews. Why do you say "can be had very cheap now", is it cos' they're a old model or what?

Where they the Sat 6.5? Big room? And what sub did you match them to?

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Turnkey are doing the Mackies very cheap now, excellent speaker:)

I had the 6.5s, generally in a small room but don't stress about any monitor being "nearfield" unless your room is huge...most actives of the ilk you're looking at are more than capable of filling a medium sized room with reference level sonics:)

As for the sub....lol it's more a question of what sub I didn't pair them with:D The list is as follows:

* Paradigm Servo-15 (dual sub setup)
    * SVS PB-12 Plus/2
    * SVS PC Ultra
    * Also tried with a B&W ASW750.

Any quality sub should integrate well:)

Note though that if you want flexibility with the crossover then you're better off looking towards the Mackie or Genelec route, as the Blues roll-off at 80hz (though this may not be a problem as most people including myself use a 80hz crossover).

The mackies are very well regarded and are powerful and clean, with a sweet treble. The Blues have been praised also for power, detail and possessing a very clean sound, however the treble can be a touch edgey (a bit like the M&Ks). Speaking of M&Ks, I wouldn't even consider these as an active option unless you have lots of cash...the ones I've heard were - imho - vastly overpriced.

The Genelecs are getting good press, and if you don't mind their looks then are well worth looking at - they are also incredibly flexible with bass/treble tilt controls which means they can be tweaked depending on your own sound preferences. Not heard them though, but Genelec owners seem to love them:)