Help Appreciated XF9005 vs B7V

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mechanisedautomaton, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mechanisedautomaton

mechanisedautomaton
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

I'm looking into buying a 65" tv. I'm looking to pay under £2000 so I've settled upon the above two options. I am however no expert so would appreciate some advice on choosing between the two or indeed on another set if I have gone wrong in my selection.

My use is quite mixed. TV is through Virgin and I watch a lot of sports (mostly football and cricket) but also some entertainment, only 1 4k channel at the moment but that should increase over time. I don't watch any SD content.
    After sports I'd say my main use is for movies this would be mainly streamed but could also be some physical media and would include a large amount of 4K HDR content.
    I do game a touch as well, usually FIFA, would the green pitch be a problem on the OLED with burn in?

Angle for viewing the TV would be straight on up to max 30 degrees.
    I'd say ~60% viewing at night although I guess this also depends on daylight hours. Higher percentage as the sun sets earlier.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Just to be clear the exact TVs I'm currently looking at are the Sony Bravia KD65XF9005BU and the LG OLED65B7V

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +818
    B7 is the better option. Permanent burn in is only a risk with extreme use of static content. For your usage, I’d say it’s minimal.

3. Lee33

Lee33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Did you decide on which one yet? I'm looking for a new TV myself and have narrowed it down to these two after researching and I'm stuck! I'd love OLED but I do casual gaming, watch sky sports and during the daytime the kids channels like cbeebies have logos on screen and I'm worried of the burn in risk, given the amount of money I'd spend on it!
    The Sony does look a great alternative and has great reviews as well so it's 50/50

4. michaelgordon

michaelgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I demoed the 55" of both these in richer sounds as that all they had on display. The B7 does have a brighter more colourful picture but and it was a big but for my when i played MOTD2 on iplayer the ball actually flickered on the B7 like off and on and i knew it would do my head in if i bought that and watched football. The sony on the other hand looked a lot smoother. This is with trying the different motion settings and while it did get better on the B7 with increased settings it was not as smooth.

I would definitely say demo if you can as i didnt really have a lot of time to play just watched some iplayer, & Netflix 4k but not HDR content which ill hopefully do on my next round of viewing but the Sony had to my eyes anyway the better overall picture, not as bright again it could have been settings, both were on standard and a lot better at the motion handling so when i get my car through MOT on Monday ill be ordering the 65"Sony.

5. Leo31291

Leo31291

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Without starting a new thread I'm in the same boat. Usage will be mainly tv broadcast sport, gaming and tv shows off Netflix. Use in bright and dark room. Not afraid of burn in as I won't have the display on full contrast or brightness. But motion would be a deal breaker for me. On the other hand blooming would be on my mind if I got the Sony. What would be the lesser of two evils only I can hazard by seeing them in person I guess :confused:

6. Lee33

Lee33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I think that has swayed me towards the Sony as that would do my head in with the ball

7. michaelgordon

michaelgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    As i said demo yourself if you can, the B7 picture was good and i imagine playing with the setting in detail would solve the motion issue i saw as if it was that bad it would be all over threads and info about the TV.

I went in for the Sony and the sales guy told me about the B7 not pushing but i think they wanted to clear the stock, i may have been swayed over but to me they should have the TVs set up to be perfect i shouldn't need to play in store and in fairness with the Sony i didn't it just looked good.

8. michaelgordon

michaelgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Well ive just bought the Sony from Currys, Richer sounds use Barclays as finance and they don't like me. Went through fine on Currys and got it for £1699 as there is a £100 off code and i get it tomorrow and if Anyone reduces for the bank holiday sales ill get the difference back. Happy days wont sleep tonight now