Help appreciated: connecting a laptop to an AV receiver via HDMI

Bert Coules

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this: I just connected a Lenovo laptop (running Windows 10) to my Marantz SR7009 receiver via HDMI, using the Aux2 input.

The Marantz output to my TV shows the laptop's home screen but none of the icons and not the cursor: I see only the wallpaper and the taskbar. Why is this? Am I overlooking a setting in Windows which controls the HDMI display output?

Many thanks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Windows by default will treat additional screens as extra space rather than copies of the first screen, so it's showing what it's supposed to.

If you look in display settings it'll show you how the computer thinks they're arranged and if you move your cursor off the edge of your laptop screen in the direction of the second screen then it'll appear there. You can also drag icons or apps there, and there are shortcuts to move apps between screens (Winkey + Shift + Arrow).

If you want it to show the same as your laptop screen then display settings is also where you're able to swap from this extended desktop mode into duplicate/clone mode. The shortcut for cycling between them is Winkey + P.

Bert Coules

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. It really threw me that the TV was showing as much as it did but not everything.

I've now selected the Duplicate option and the full display is up. It's not currently filling the TV screen but at least I have a sound basis to work from to fix that.

LATER...

Ah. Switching to the second screen only option automatically adjusts the display to the TV's screen size. Excellent.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
When you're in duplicate mode windows will use the resolution of the primary display.

If your TV isn't scaling to full screen then it may be an underscan/overscan setting, especially if it's just a little smaller than the screen. This normally turns out to be the TV doing it and you'll get best resulting turning it off there but you may be able to rescale on your graphics drivers control panel, alhough that won't be as sharp.

If it's way off or non-centred then it's likely your TV doesn't support that resolution very well. If you want both screens then you could try different resolutions, or set the TV as the primarily display.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom