HELP!!!! any idea why I can't get Cbeebies

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dealmaker, Sep 19, 2003.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a new Panasonic freeview box - I can get every BBC free to air service except CBeebies (Channel 31) !!! . this is causing untold grief as the previous sky satellite box (with freeview card) could get it!

Bizarrley if i leave the sky box turned on as a passive loop through and tune it to CBeebies the Panasonic box will pick up the CBeebies channel and see it!

When i take the sky box out of the loop and attempt an auto re-tune it loses CBeebies altogether - sureley the fact that I get GREAT signal strength on all other BBC led channels would indicate that CBeebies SHOULD be the same ???? I have to assume that the BBC are broadcasting all of their channels through the same transimtter?

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received - I'd love to get rid of the sky box and dish!!!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

By no means an expert on Freeview but couldn't the RF output of the SKY digibox or other RF equipped hardware be interfering with the reception?
    Since the BBC channels no longer require a smartcard why not keep the digibox and use it on a second TV (getting to be routine to assume everyone has more than one telly).
    :)

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Starburst,

Generally I'd like to tidy up the family room by ditching the skybox (and all associated cables- 5 in total - RF in - RF out - Dish signal in - power lead - telephone lead) and use a freeview box - I will also use freeview boxes on the other two TV's in the house BUT if I can't get CBeebies this will be a big problem - I'll have to keep the skybox just for CBeebies.

The SKYBOX seems to be somehow boosting the signal to the freeview box i.e without it I can't get CBeebies at all - it simply won't tune in to channel 31 - WITH it in the loop (and tuned to CBeebies) the freeview box IS tuning into CBeebies (albeit not that well) - so the SKYBOX IS somehow affecting the signal - (but when it's not there, and not connected it obviously can't be doing anything to adversley affect the signal) ergo I have a problem with the digital terrrestial signal on CBeebies which seems very strange???

I dont understand whats going on????

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It is a strange one:)
    However I can not see how a SKY digibox displaying Cbeebies taken from a satellite feed can enhance/generate a signal that would meet the requirments of DTT reception.
    It sounds like the RF output of the SKY digibox is being passed through and the resulting picture has nothing to do with the Freeview box at all.
    Retune the SKY digibox RF output and then try to duplicate the problem, perhaps the RF output is too close to the frequency Cbeebies is using, but if that was the case it should be affecting the other channels on that mux i would have thought.

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure your aerial cable is proper double-shielded (satellite) coax and is one unbroken length from aerial on the roof to the Freeview box input.

Fman

6. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dealmaker - All I can suggest is that, if all else fails, return the box for a refund stating that it's unfit for purpose. Cbeebies is as strong as any other BBC channel on my box (a Nokia) and never suffers from any break up.

I can understand you're misery at missing The Fimbles - my sprog loves the pink fluffy chicken thing!