1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help and advise needed on Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Crocodile JD, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi guys

I'm after free view, but don't know anything about it.

I want it as much as anything to pipe terrestrial stuff (champions league, world cup rugby etc) to my projector which has VGA, Component, S-video and composite. Obviously I want the best video transfer I can get whatever that may be? I would want general stuff to go to the TV which has s-video or RGB via scart.

Is a freeview set top box the right way to go and if so which one and how best to connect. Also, do I need or am I better off with a special ariel?

thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Croc

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Any sports from ITV digital will look horrid on a projector.

BBC 1 digital will be ok.

Get the aerial checked out by a pro.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Some (but not all) freeview boxes have an SVideo out as a separate socket (mini-DIN). You could and should use this to drive your projector. Choose a box with this feature.

You will also need to take an audio signal to an amplifier. Very few freeview boxes have an optical digital out, but the majority have regular audio L&R as RCA phono sockets.

I think that most or all have RGB via SCART and you should use this to drive your TV.

If you want to timeshift broadcasts - consider a 'Pace Twin' which is an integrated Freeview box and Hard disk recorder. It has the outputs you need.

As for a new aerial - this is wholly dependent on the signal strength and which transmitter you currently use for analog.

If your current transmitter is broadcasting freeview (most of the main ones do, but some smaller repeaters do not) and the signal for analog is clean and strong - you may well not need a new aerial.

If you need to go to a different transmitter and/or the signal is not wholesome - you may well need a higher gain, and/or wider-band aerial. A decent local aerial contractor will advise. They don't cost a fortune.

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Currently I think the only Freeview box offering a Component output is the Netgem i-player.

As already mentioned, most of the others provide composite, S-Video or RGB, typically via SCART.

5. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thank you all for the replies:

Wayne
    Why is this?

Nigel
    A most detailed response, thanks again. What reciever only gets the vote at the moment?

AOB
    I have seen from other threads that you are actively after a freeview box yourself at the moment. Is it the PAC-TTR210T that you are considering? Would this be one that I should consider?

Cheers

Croc

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I take it you don't watch BBC1 then, where it's been heavily 'advertised' for the past year or so.

7. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Kevo

I am well aware of freeview, I was referring to the hardware side of things. I guess you would recommend the Pioneer? As I said I also need S-video and RGB out. Dig Audio would be ok as well since my reciever has a ready input.

Cheers

Croc

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Too low bitrate.

My Grundig GDT 2000 is great as well.

9. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The netgem offers only composite out of its second scart so component from the first to the projector and composite to the tv would be the best it can offer.

As far as I know, for simple freeview stbs, only the Pioneer and the Philips both do s-video from the second scart as well as RGB and s-video from the first. I have used the Philips, and it is a very nice box, but I believe the Pioneer is the better machine because it quicker, has better graphics, and the Philips will never get the 7 day EPG. Both have digital audio outs: the Philips is coax, Pioneer optical. The Philips also has analogue phono outs. (Note the Sony also does s-video from its second scart, but only when negotiated with a smartlink compatible recorder).

These two are your best bet unless you want to go down the road of RGB splitter/amplifiers and RGB/vga or RGB/component convertors.

On your second question, only get an aerial upgrade if you are experiencing difficulty receiving all Muxes without breakup.

10. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes I am considering a Pace DTR210T, in fact I ordered one earlier today.

As to whether it would fit the bill for you, that rather depends on your priorities. I like the slimline styling and decent connectivity. Lack of component output isn't an issue as none of my displays presently will take component. Depending on how I get on with it, I may even invest in a second unit for the lounge. It would fit the bill very nicely as I could then switch the s-video signal via my AV32R and simplify some of my connections.

That would have the beneficial side effect of winning me some major brownie points with the other half! :laugh:

11. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks guys.

OK, so I know what boxes to look at, but one final question. Given that the main reason for going freeview is to provide a TV signal to my PJ and given that Wayne has stated ITV digital would look "horrid" on a PJ, am I going down the right route. Is there another (better) way of piping regular TV to a PJ.

Ignoring the subscription charges for now, purely from a technical point of view, would sky or cable offer better results on terrestrial?

Cheers

Croc

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Not particularly, I have cable and freeview and can't tell the difference between pic quality, incl. ITV, although C5 and QVC is a bit iffy in Freeview nationwide.

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The PQ of the major TV channels (1-5 at least) is more than adequate, even for a large screen. I know. I drive my VW10 via SVideo from my Pace Twin and it's just fine. A little more pixellation than from DVD, but not intrusive.

Can't speak for cable, but $ky is definitely worse on the 'free' channels.

14. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Excellent thanks guys all i need to do is go shopping then:smashin:

BTW nigel how much storage space have you got on the Pace twin? and do you ever copy it over to VHS or other?

Cheers

Croc

15. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Pace Twin has 20gb HDD which gives 10 hours storage. Personally I have not copied anything from it to a VCR - because I haven't wanted to. But I'm pretty certain it's a simple matter.

I gather (from others) that the HDD can be replaced with a higher capacity one - it's just a regular 2.5 inch HDD such as you might use in a (small) PC connected via a standard IDE connection and power plug. Can't speak from personal experience, though. There is a thread on here somewhere on this very subject.