Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help and Advice Required

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by krh68, Jan 15, 2004.

1. krh68

krh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to this forum so forgive if incorrect posting section !!

I have purchased a Panasonic TX32PD30C, 32" 100hz virtual dolby widescreen tv. Being delivered next week

It was just over my budget at £ 1199.00, but had the picture viewing quality I liked. This was my only real criteria.

I now wish to add the following to it. DVD, Sound System and by this I am bit confused by the seperates ; AV Receiver, Amp, Pre Amp or whatever with speakers. I like to hear good sound.

I am fairly flexible on budget and was thinging maybe £ 500 - £ 700 for the AV Amp as I am told this is the key to the good sound system ?

I would then need a DVD Player.

Also speakers.

Could somebody provide advice on what I should look at and what other equipment I may need. (Have I forgotten anything?) It obviously needs to be compatible with the tv.

Oh and I shall be getting Sky + if this influences anything ?

Thank you

krh68

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're along the right lines. You'll need a DVD player, AV Receiver and Speaker Package.

There's plenty of choice for DVD players. With your budget I'd recommend Pioneer's DV565A, which I bought myself, and performs very well indeed and sells for around £200 Multiregion.

In terms of surround amps and receivers, it really depends on what kind of speakers you want to accommodate. If you want smaller surround speakers, like the Kef Eggs for example, then I'd recommend a Denon AV Receiver, specifically the AVR2803. However, if you're looking to buy larger speakers (i.e. more difficult to drive), then you'd perhaps be better with a Pioneer receiver, such as the VSX-D2011.

Sky+ doesn't influence much, it just means you'll get Dolby Digital 5.1 with some movie broadcasts.

3. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yeah and tread carefully - you are pretty much a salesman dream.

Different places will sell you what they want you to buy. Probably best listening to as many setups as you can, freinds if you can, then decide yourself. Don't let someone make you believe something sounds good

4. krh68

krh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dimmy,

I shall look at the Pioneer DV565A ~ is there another i can compare it too or comparable model you looked at ? I like to view a couple if poss to compare... Have you found any drawbacks with the model and made you wish you'd spent £ 100 more ?

The room for the AV Amplier/Receiver is about 16ft by 12ft. I though I'd need a front left, front right, centr, woffer and two rear speakers. I want fairly good sound but wasn't sure on a top end "package" or seperates ? I hadn't though about choosing these before the Amp....

One other thing, do you reccoemnd those power surge protectore and if so which one and where from

Thanks for your time

krh68

5. krh68

krh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fear you are right munkay, but I am an avid reader and have started trawlling through the forum

I have heard Denon, Technics, NAD Hi Fi seperates, because I play loads of vinyl 45s ; but very unsure on Home Cinema stuff as never ventured before. I went with total Technics set up on Hi Fi and the speakers (simple pair) came along with it ; hence no great knowledge of where speakers are at. This is now a 10yr old system anyhow and will also be fully updated later in the year.

Thanks

krh68

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Models in the same price bracket as the 565a that you could look at include the Denon DVD1400, Harmon Kardon DVD25, Toshiba SD530E and Phillips DVD963SA.

I haven't found any drawbacks with the 565a. I don't use it for DVD-Video playback (only SACD/DVD-A), but it's still a stunning DVD-Video player. There isn't anything close to it in price terms that has the same disc compatibility, so I don't really wish I'd spent £100 more.

You'd be better off with separates for your surround package. With your room size I'd say Kef's 'Eggs' would be more than adequate for your needs, model number KHT-2005.2. I'd still recommed the Denon 2803 amp.

I do use a Surge Protector, off the top of my head I don't recall the brand name, but it is available from Comet/Currys at around £40. It's worth the cost, we've had a lot of power problems in our town lately and £40 to keep all the equipment from frying is worth the cost.

7. krh68

krh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dimmy
    I shall be following up on your advice
    krh68