1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help and Advice on speakers please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by allengn, Sep 24, 2004.

1. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm very new to this so please be gentle :) and apologies if i've missed this elsewhere on the Forum.

Following the recent demise of my TV, I'm taking the opportunity to review / upgrade my home entertainment set-up. To date, I've found the forums fascinating, and an excellent information source. However I'm a little stuck regarding speakers. Therefore can anyone point me at an 'idiot's guide' to speakers, where, for example, I can:

• understand the terminology (e.g. what's the difference between 4 and 8 ohmn?)
    • provide some simple guides / indications as to what to look out for?
    • explain the pros / cons etc of, for example, large v small speakers.
    Many thanks :thumbsup: for any help.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    As far as I know htere arnt really any 'idiot guides' arround. You can find the Ohms questions answer on here as it has been posted a few times. Do a search. As to what to look for it is in your price range, your personal preferences and needs (floor/stand/lifestyle). Large speaker (I tkae it you mean floorstanders as opposed to stand mount/lifestyle) usually can output lower bass than other kinds and also can use more drivers to output more from different sound ranges.

What are you actually looking for style wise and how much is your budget?? Then maybe a few of us can point you in a few directions :D

3. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Dfour. :thumbsup:

I will do a search on Ohms as you suggest.

In terms of speakers, I have been looking at the Mordaunt-Short Avant range. They appear to have had a good write-up, are the right price, and are reasonably small (which will please the wife :clap: )

I appreciate they may not deliver the absolute quality of sounds that some of you audiophiles would appreciate, but as long as they can deliver a reasonable quality, then I would be pleased.

(By the way, my current intention is to get the Cambridge Audio Azur AV receiver to deliver the sound).

Any further help would be appreciated. :)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Excellent choice and good value for money especially the Premier Plus with the uprated subwoofer