Help and advice on my set up

Dave 2022

Novice Member
Reaction score
I Have a LG OLED c1, Denton avr x2400h amp, monitor audio radius speakers, ceiling speakers are monitor audio c165, Rel T5 sub and a samsung 4k player. When playing films the bass is lacking, the explosions etc have no depth to them it’s like I do not have a sub on, the sub is working, after going online they say it should be connect via the rca and speaker terminals is this right and could this cause the lack of bass. I did try out my mates Sony x800m2 last night and no difference, also recalibrated the speakers and tried some of the other settings but no difference it’s as the sub doesn’t keep the bass going through the explosions etc. Is it my amp or sub? Or am I missing something in the settings?
Thanks for any he

What are the speakers set to?
Are they set to large or small?
What frequency?

What are the speakers set to?
Are they set to large or small?
What frequency?
Hi
All the speakers are set to small
The fronts and centre are set at 80Hz
surrounds at 150Hz
Top front 120Hz
Sub is LFE+main and 80Hz
The fronts are the Radius 90s
Centre Radius 200
surrounds Radius 45
Sub Rel HT/1003

Check that the LPF roll-off adjustment on the sub is disabled (or set to its maximum level) otherwise it will be filtering out bass content at the sub end.

Also, for movies I would be using LFE only, not LFE+Main.

Also check that “LPF for LFE” on the Denon is set at the default 120Hz.

Check that the LPF roll-off adjustment on the sub is disabled (or set to its maximum level) otherwise it will be filtering out bass content at the sub end.

Also, for movies I would be using LFE only, not LFE+Main.

Also check that “LPF for LFE” on the Denon is set at the default 120Hz.
Thanks I’ve adjusted it what you said, it has improved but the bond film no time to die with the explosion about 14minutes into the film still doesn’t have much depth to it and doesn’t sound like I’m watching with a surround sound set up could it be my amp is to old for the new films?

What is your source for the Bond movie (e.g. Blu-ray) and what does the display say on the AVR for the playback format?

How large is your room and which REL sub do you have? Your first post says T5, the second says HT/1003.

The T5 is a 125W 8" driver sub with hardly any sub-bass extension. It's rated as being capable of -6dB@32Hz so probably only flatish to 40Hz so it's more of a woofer than subwoofer. It's really been designed for music, not movies.

The HT/1003 is a 300W sub with 10" driver sub so a bit better (-6dB@24Hz) but still a very weak sub compared to competitor offerings from SVS, Monoprice, XTZ, Arendal etc.

Last edited:
How large is your room and which REL sub do you have? Your first post says T5, the second says HT/1003.

The T5 is a 125W 8" driver sub with hardly any sub-bass extension. It's rated as being capable of -6dB@32Hz so probably only flatish to 40Hz so it's more of a woofer than subwoofer. It's really been designed for music, not movies.

The HT/1003 is a 300W sub with 10" driver sub so a bit better (-6dB@24Hz) but still a very weak sub compared to competitor offerings from SVS, Monoprice, XTZ, Arendal etc.
Sorry my mistake I thought it was a T5 but when I looked at the back of it I saw it is the HT/1003
My room size it’s an open plan lounge dinner and kitchen in a L shape the lounge/dinner area is 14 ft wide and 19ft long

OK, IMO your sub is undersized for that sort of space if you want to listen loudly. It simply won't be able to handle what's being thrown at it. See my thread here for advice on specifying a minimum sub for a system.

You could also be sitting in a major null which could be destroying the SPL output you do have. Move around the room to see if the bass response improves and/or change the location of the sub. Placing the sub in a corner is likely to maximise its output capability so start there.

Are you sure the sub has sufficient gain? What is the subwoofer trim level set by Audyssey and the volume setting on the sub? Have you tried turning these up?

Also make sure any form of dynamic range limiting/compression is disabled in the AVR otherwise the sub may not be getting the full range signal of the soundtrack.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom