• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Help and Advice - Nikon D50 Fault

lawrenso

Banned
Hi,

I have had a D50 for a number of years now, and love it. However, lately, when we use it the results displayed on the LCD are either dark (last time it was heavilly tinged with red) or just black. Now a combination of taking the battery out or removing the lense can clear it - although it could need to be done a number of times. Has anybody any ideas on what the issue is?

The trouble is we are going to Cardiff on the 6th June for the Monster Jam European Tour (taking the kids - honest ;)) and plan to be taking lots of photo's of them with the Trucks in the Pit Party. But if I can't rely on the camera and the verdict is a repair is needed (ie sent away) I will really need to get a replacement.

What would people recommend - is the D60 not having a motor for AF really an issue?

Can you buy these Body only and use my existing lenses what would you think of a D5000 with an 18-105 VR lens for @650 from Dixon's Tax Free (go through Manchester every week)?

Cheers for any help and advice

Steve

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
If you send your D50 for repair it will more than likely take weeks rather than days.

From I have read the D5000 is a step up from the D60 so I would go for that option then send your D50 then either sell it on or keep it as a second body.

witters

Incidentally the D90 is actually smaller overall that the D5000

TBH they are pretty much the same.

D90 - 132 x 103 x 77

D5000 - 127 x 104 x 80

I'm trying to decide which one to go for at the moment....

Last edited:

Yandros

Novice Member
Incidentally the D90 is actually smaller overall that the D5000

TBH they are pretty much the same.

D90 - 132 x 103 x 77

D5000 - 127 x 104 x 80

I'm trying to decide which one to go for at the moment....

D90 - better viewfinder, top LCD, higher resolution larger rear LCD, higher frame rate, screw drive motor, DOF preview. All for 70 quid more. All the D5000 brings to the party is the swivel screen. Total no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

witters

D90 - better viewfinder, top LCD, higher resolution larger rear LCD, higher frame rate, screw drive motor, DOF preview. All for 70 quid more. All the D5000 brings to the party is the swivel screen. Total no brainer as far as I'm concerned.
It sounds so simple when you put it like that:D

I'll be buying a kit with lens. The D90 18-105 kit is currently about £100 more that the D5000 18-55 kit.

Whilst I understand what you are saying re the extra features I'm not sure how useful they will be to me personally. Having said that; if I'm going to spend £630 on a camera may as well go the whole hog and spend £730 (or £709 at Currys!)

Yandros

Novice Member
The top LCD means you can review settings without mucking about with the screen. The better viewfinder and LCD you'll obviously use all the time (the 230,000 pixel screen is not too hot when judging critica focus). The screw drive means you can bargain hunt through Nikon's back catalogue of lenses - access to a wider range of 2nd hand lenses could make up the difference between the D5000 and D90 in a single purchase in the future.

lawrenso

Banned
Hi Guys

thanks for the responses :thumbsup:.

I did phone Nikon today and they asked me to upload examples of pictures (I suppose it is so the can read the data etc) to give an initial diagnosis - but I can't do that until this weekend :( so it looks like it will be a new camera. Need to check what is available at Dixons Tax Free....

D90 sounds very interesting. I have the two kit lenses that came with the D50 and was interested in the VR lens on the 5000 - which after checking with the DTF site

NIKON D90 18-105VR KIT

SAVE OVER £100

Tax Free Price
£695.64
High Street Price £799.99

Compared to £652.17 for the D5000 - so it looks like it is even more of a goer :thumbsup:

is the 18-105VR good??

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Yandros

Novice Member
Yes the 18-105VR is a good choice :thumbsup:

You get a plastic lens mount on this (as on most of Nikon's kit lenses), but the performance is well regarded. I think one poster on here was unhappy with his, but pretty much every other comment I've read about this lens rates it superior optically to the 18-200VR and roughly the same as the 16-85VR.

LeahGeorge

Standard Member
Hi, I have been using my Nikon D50 for about a year now with no prblems. But when I last tried to use it in the studio on manual mode the command dial did not work, it physically turns but does not have any effect on changing the aperture or shutter speed. Please could anybody offer soem advice ?! Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom