Help and advice needed with AV set up please..

davidmn27

Hi,
My current set up is a Marantz SR6011 with a pair of B&W606s plus the usual 5.1 kit and inputs.

Recently when listening to two channel music i.e Spotify or vinyl either or both of my speakers lose some of the sound, cut in and out, with the occasional crackle.

Any ideas on what this could be? Potentially the transformer in the amp? I do have a lot of wires and power cables bundled behind the amp, could it be electrical interference?

One possible solution I'm considering is buying a stereo receiver to bypass from the Marantz into so I can run stereo only through the new amp.

Does this sound like a good idea and any advice on making this change?

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 901590

Well, my opinion...

Don't buy or change anything until you've got to the bottom of the fault. You could get the stereo amp, for example, then your AVR fails five minutes later!

I would take the system back to basics. So, unplug, pull away all wiring. Full factory reset the AVR (not just the full reset). Just connect front speakers with freshly stripped wire ends, try it in DIRECT with 2 channel music and see if you have the problem. If you don't, then gradually build the system back up... in the same way, fresh wire strips etc.

D

Deleted member 901590

Don't forget to also make sure it's not a faulty kettle lead or power extension.

davidmn27

Thanks for your response. I'll follow your advice. The trouble is it's an intermittent problem so I may not notice the issue straight away after each stage.
But yes, I agree it's better than shelling out hundreds on a amp and the problem persists.

Thanks again

D

Deleted member 901590

And also, sorry, if you try it in DIRECT with just front speakers and it still does it. The next thing to check is two different speakers (there could be an internal break or short in front speakers).

davidmn27

And also, sorry, if you try it in DIRECT with just front speakers and it still does it. The next thing to check is two different speakers (there could be an internal break or short in front speakers).
In both speakers? Or would one cause the issue across both?

D

Deleted member 901590

In both speakers? Or would one cause the issue across both?

Like you, I don't know enough about the Marantz to know how it could respond if it was just one of them. So, agree it's unlikely that both speakers could cause it, but still worth doing. Especially given the costs of new and used AVRs at the moment.

The link here is for full FACTORY reset on Denons, I assume one of the methods will work on your Marantz:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom