1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help and advice needed please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by utter_rotter, Feb 16, 2004.

1. utter_rotter

utter_rotter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to this forum with a specific request, and sorry in advance for the long post.

I have a strange set-up - Panasonic plasma screen, Linn AV selector, Linn tuner, Linn unidisk (cd, DVD,SACD, etc player), 3 x Linn amps feeding Front R/L, Rear R/L and centre channel speakers respectively (all Linn), Linn sub-woofer with own amp. This is the core of the system, and all the Linn kit is controlled through a Linn remote hand-set. In addition, I have an NTL digital cable set-top box, sony DVD recorder (using the TV tuner in this to play the NTL cable TV through the Linn AV selector), the new Pace twin freeview digital recorder (again playing through Linn AV selector). All the kit is mounted in a cabilnet I had built which also mounts the plasma and it all works great, with one exception.

To control the boxes in the cabinet, I use a "magic eye" infrared repeater, which works fine for most of the kit, but seems to have a problem with the NTL set-top box. I think infra-red emmissions from the plasma are creating spurious signals through the magic-eye and repeaters that keep switching channels, etc. I also have to juggle too many remotes. I need 6 in total, one each for the Linn AV, Linn Unidisk, NTL set-top, Sony DVD recorder, Pace freeview box, Panasonic plasma.

So, after that long introduction, I have two questions:

1. Can anyone recommend an alternative, and plasma friendly, magic eye IR repeater system to control the boxes in the cabinet so i don't have to leave the cabinet doors open all the time to use the 6 remotes (I actually only need to repeat to 3 boxes in the cabinet - Pace, NTL and Sony because the Linn kit works fine from the AV selector which is outside the cabinet).

2. Can anyone recommend a good learning remote which i can teach so that I can dispose of the six other remotes - ideally, I'd like a good one with colour screen, fully customisable, etc. I've spent so much on the rest of the system, it would be a shame to spoil it for the sake of a good remote.

Hope you guys can help.

Rotter