1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help and advice needed for new system build

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by realitybites, Dec 18, 2003.

1. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to get a bit of advice from all you seasoned pro’s out there. I haven’t put a system together since the advent of the Pentium 1 CPU, so a long time ago, even then it was only the one build. I have listed the components below. Should I be aware of any major pitfalls, ant incompatability issues or any thing at all really. Any help would be gratefully accepted.
    Thanks.

Item: Coolermaster Wavemaster TAC-T01
    QTEC 550 Watt PSU P4 ready Twin Fan Retail Boxed
    Item: A7N8X Deluxe SKT A NForce2 Chipset Motherboard VER: 2.0
    Item: AMD ATHLON XP2500+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU – OEM
    Item: Corsair (VS1GBKIT400) 1024MB (2X512) DDR400 PC3200 Memory Module
    Item: Coolermaster CP5-8JD1F-0L Upto XP3200+ Silent Skt A Heatsink & Fan
    Item: Coolermaster 80mm Aero Blower Case Fan
    Item: Innovision EIO AP1600 ATA133 Controller Card Retail Box
    Item: Alps 1.44 Silver Floppy Drive 3.5 Inch Internal – Oem
    2 x Western Digital WD1200JD 120gb Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM
    Item: High Quality Round Idecable Ata133 90cm In Blue
    Item: High Quality Round floppy Cable 60cm in Yellow
    Item: Usb Easy Access Keyboard/105 Key Carbonite/silver
    Item: Ebuyer 56K V.90 Hardware Fax/Modem - Retail Box

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Just a couple of comments:

The QTEC PSU is a cheap and very noisy one (I've got one). If you don't mind openening it up and fitting voltage reducers to its fans then it can be a great way to get a cheap quiet PSU, but this isn't the easiest way to do this.

I've also got a barton 2500, I'm very pleased with it, never had a single problem. good value.

I'd think about getting slightly slower memory and buying two sticks of 512 so you can run them in dual channel mode. AFAIK the performance gain of 3200 over 2700 is a bit theoretical, whereas the gain from dual over single channel is more noticeable. Check the MB manufacturers website for compatible memory - NF2 boards can be quite picky about which sticks they work with (corsair will probably be ok though).

Whats the IDE controller for? - are you planning on adding a load more HDs at some point?

You can get quieter drives than the western digital ones, samsung spinpoints or seagate barracudas are maybe better choices. Still if it's speed you're after the WD will be great.

Ebuyer do a good wireless KB for about £15 which might be an option.

HTH
    Owain

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi

Nice case.

Avoid the QTec PSU they do not have a good reputation. I would rather have a 350W Enermax (£35 ish) any day.

No worries with the motherboard, superb.

Go for the Retail Pack Barton - 3 year warranty and a free fan, OEM 1 year warranty. It's only £5 more. Should clock to a 3200.

Coolermaster Aero 7+ or Zalman 7000A for the CPU

Kingston HyperX 2 x 512MB PC3200 Cas2 Dual Channel kit

Consider 1 or 2 36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0 for boot (10,00 rrpm and 5 year warranty) and a large drive for Data.

Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse for general use or corded if you are into games.

Also curious about the ATA133 Card?

Gus

4. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick replies gents. I have a couple of DVD writers I am going to put in and are very picky about have their own IDE cables so hopefully this will resolve it. As far as I know the Corsair memory is a matched 2 x 512 kit to take advantage of M/B( 3200 was slightly cheaper than 2700 for some reason so I thought what the heck). I was wondering why the Q-Tec seemed a bit cheaper than the others, now I know. One concern I have is will a reduced capacity power supply be sufficient for all the mentioned components plus maybe, 4 DVD writers. Again thanks for input. Is the Q-tec inferior enough to justify a much higher premium 60 quid as opposed to 20 quid.

5. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry 337GUS, should have included in my reply, when you say overclock to a 3200, what does that mean.
    Thanks

6. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
  7. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gus and Owain. I'll look into that overclocking Gus, will that shorten the life of the processor and generate a bit more heat. Is the coolermaster heatsink and fan a better option than the one that comes with the retail box?
    Sorry to bend your ear, thanks again.

8. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The AMD supplied ones are fine but can be a little noisy.

The Coolermaster has a variable speed control.

You can buy these controls for about £5 which is what I do for some systems and put it onto the AMD fan to quiet it down a bit.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnpsfanmate.htm

Overclocking will generate more heat but both the fans are rated to 3200.

As to shortening the life it is probably a 3200 chip anyway just speed rated. As a CPU gets mature the yield goes up and they get more CPU's out of a silicon wafer capable of top speed. If one of these fails then the whole lots gets derated to a slower speed even though some can go faster. Also if the market demands a lot of slower chips some fast ones are sold as slower ones.

I have run overclocked systems for years, a Pentium 1 166MMX is still going at 233MMX after 7 or 8 years.

Gus