Help and advice. Mac mini new Macos install

neuty

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have an old Mac mini 2009 and me trying to be clever tried installing a Mac OS that it shouldn’t run. This caused it to fail. On trying to reinstall an os via recovery I kept getting either an error, circle with a line through or if I got far enough into an install it then came back with an error message.
Ive since tried to be clever again and removed the hard drive and fully formatted it in my 2012 mac mini.
Now when i try and boot it shows a folder image with a ? . I have a bootable usb of High Sierra and that starts then I get the circle with line again.
I cannot boot command + R as i have no recovery. I cannot get any further.

Any ideas on what I can do? Can i make a copy of an old os off a Mac Pro or something like that if I clone that drive?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers Carl

MacrosTheBlack

When you use your USB installer. Can you get into Disk Utility?
I’d try that if you can and when in Disk Utility, you need to go to the view option in one of the top menus, should be an option to “view devices” rather than just partitions.
With that on, select the base (root) level of your hard drive and choose erase in MacOS Journeled Extended.
Quit Disk Utility and then do the installer and select to install to the freshly erased drive.

neuty

Distinguished Member
Sadly I cannot get to Disk Utility either. I’m sure that when I formatted the drive in my other Mac mini I have completely wiped any trace of boot options that are normally there. I cannot press alt and select my usb installer as that crashes with a circle and line. When at the boot drive options all that shows is the usb and no other drive.
I’m going to strip it down again and double check the drive is seated firmly in place. It could be that easy lol
Carl

MacrosTheBlack

Oh hang on. You can’t install High Sierra on a 2009 machine.
You need to make an El Capitan 10.11.6 USB installer on a working Mac. That’s the maximum supported OS.

neuty

Distinguished Member
You need to make an El Capitan 10.11.6 USB installer on a working Mac. That’s the maximum supported OS.
I’m sure it had High Sierra on it LOL.

Cheers, i will try and get El Capitan sorted and go from there.

neuty

Distinguished Member
You Sir are a LEGEND. I think all this time I’ve been trying to install High Sierra and I needed El Capitan LOL.
Currently installing El Capitan :)

Carl

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom