1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!: Analysis paralysis between LG RZ-42PX11 and Phillips 42PF9946!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Anderzander, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Anderzander

Anderzander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

John Lewis sale has just started and the LG is in it - £100 cheaper now.

I'm thinking of getting one - but have boggled my brain :-(

I'm also quite keen on the Phillips 42PF9946. It came out well in the WHC reviews.

The LG has rear facing connections - so would it need to be mounted quite a way off the wall? The Phillips connections face down and I've seen it mounted very neatly.

The Phillips also comes with a free wall bracket and is a bit cheaper. I have seen images on them in shops, but to be honest I can't work it out sue to the varying quality of the sources and siting.

If I had to choose I'd say the philips had the better picture - but then I'd not be getting the 5 year warranty......

help please - I've got analysis paralysis!

Stephen

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LOL! 2 of the crappiest plasmas out there! If you want a cheap TV plasma, and don't mind about hi def (the philips is not HD compatible) find a cheap price on a PA50 Panasonic and get JL to price match it, you can get them for astonishingly low prices now. Or get someone to design you a system based on a PW7 panel, the panel only is now £999 at numerous places.

3. skalaberg

skalaberg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    subjective to say the least

:suicide:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Indeed. Subjective to someone who has seen well over 1000 plasmas on various installs, etc. They give cosistently poor results, and the LG has massive firmware issues, have a read of the LG thread. Those guys have a lot more patience than I do.

5. scottbown

scottbown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm a bit of a plasma novice, but i took the plung with the LG-RZ-42PX11 a few months ago and not looked back since, It's Great!.

I got mine priced matched at john lewis with 5yr warrenty, got a great price at the time £1379. I believe there were many issues with firmware in the past but i believe these have been sorted since v5.14, which is on RZ-42PX11's built after Jan 2005. Mine has been fine.

True, there are better screens out there (pannys in particular). RicherSounds are doing good deals all the time.

But as a 1st screen with all the connections you'll need, plus split screen, in built speakers (fine for TV)... its top dog. :) - only my opinion

The LG has rear facing connections are off set into the back of the plasma and so don't stick out that much. Plus the component connection, DVI and AV are pointing upwards. (hard to explain without diagram ;) )

hope this helps ;)

Scott

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lots of people still have picture problems with later firmware than yours, scott. More power to you if you are happy though. It's just that the price movements recently have pretty much done away with the LG price advantage, truly you can now do better for the same money. That's the nature of technology though, you can be sure that whatever you buy will be out of date by the time you turn it on!

7. Dimas

Dimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly subjective!! 1000 plasmas!! :eek: impressive!, were they all pannys :rolleyes: ? I think you haven't look at the recent LGs (42PX4RV/DV or the new 42PX11). BTW, I have also seen many threads (probably more) about problems with pannys, and those are not fixable by software!! :nono: . I think this type of arguments are not of much use :boring: .

For everyone buying a plasma, I think the best recomendation is to
    see how they look and buy the one you like best :lesson: . Probably it is more important the store where you buy it, go for those that let you change the plasma if you, finally, don't like it :smashin:.

No, you don't, actually, you can't :rotfl:

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nobody I have sold a plasma to has ever asked to change it, what more can I say? And yes, I've seen all the new LG's the new Samsung, and quite a lot of other ridiculously expensive custom install only panels, and none of them come close to the VFM of the PWD7 at the moment. I do sell quite a few Pioneers, but then it's horses for courses, this is a budget job, so VFM is obviously paramount. There used to be a £300 odd price differential from LG to panasonic, ie about 20-25%, which I'll agree is worth saving if cash is tight. This is no longer the case, I reckon you'd find a PW7 for noticeably under a grand if you poke around. That is basically the thrust of my argument, I assume from the pro LG stance you own one? I don't sell them because I can't afford the returns rate. If I had to change 10-15% of plasmas I sold, I'd be bankrupt.

9. Anderzander

Anderzander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm.....

Thing is I dont want a panel - it must have a tuner and speakers.

I can also find threads with people reporting problems with any model I do a search on - thus the paralysis!

That fact also makes me lean strongly towards buying, whatever I get, from John Lewis.

Their 5 year guarantee and excellent customer service is a BIG plus in my eyes.

So any other reccomendations or happy customers?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Look for a bargain PA50, JL might well have some. Ask them to phone around the branches. I simply fail to understand the logic behind buying a £1300 TV with no digital tuner though, you've got 2-3 years of use I should think. Then one of your inputs will be taken up with a freeview box.

11. Dimas

Dimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have a LG 42PX4RV. At first, I bought a Pana 42PA50, which I returned because of pixel faults. No problems with the seller, he changed it by a new one. Again, after less than a week 2 pixels failed, one in a corner and one right in the middle. It is quite annoying to watch a night scene with an eye catching red dot in the middle. Back to the store again. Since then, I don't want to hear about pana plasmas. Fortunately, my seller was very professional and he has no problem for changing it by the new LG. Two months now. No problem at all. And PQ, for my non professional eyes, is just perfect. And, yes, I have seen the panas and I can compare. Furthermore, recently some friends and I made a blind comparison between several plasmas (with the extraordinary help of the seller), including panna, and LG, and, again for non professional eyes, the LG 42PX4RV got the first place.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah, the PX4 is not a PX11 either. I am sorry for your pixel experience, it has coloured your view of panasonic. I've sold about 600 of the blasted things, and never had one back nor seen a dead pixel. I have had a few PSU failures, fixed under warranty. Happy to hear your retailer was professional, it's bad for all of us when someone has a bad experience, we all get tarred with the same brush, bit like me and LG plasmas maybe.

13. Dimas

Dimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I was misunderstood I did not pretend to say that you are not professional. I don't think that. Actually, just from your posts I think you really are a good professional and, certainly, honest and helpful :thumbsup: .
    Cheers :) .
    Dimas

14. skalaberg

skalaberg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the record...I too am ultra happy with my LG PX11.

I have seen more posts recently of people unhappy with there p500's..........of course this does not make it a bad panel that everyone must avoid.

:smashin:
    :D

15. Alhambra

Alhambra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To my DISGUST it also came out with an ANNOYING software fault with screen formats.

At least mine did.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213869

I contacted a Philips authorised service centre and they confirmed the fault with a Philips engineer. My service man has since recieved a firmware update from Philips and I'm waiting for the results to see if it's going to fix the problem.

This is all VERY DISSAPOINTING!

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I see Tujax has 'issues with the forum, and feels that owning a non-Panasonic/pioneer screen excludes one from contributing. That is a shame. The reason they have become so dominant is most likely they have the fewest issues like this, though as we all know they are not issue free! Pioneer media boxes have software problems, PV500s of course.... The most hassle free are the panel only models, an area where Philips, LG etc do not really compete, they market only 'consumer ready' products, which also tend to be scorned by the purists, and strangely, with the interior designers I work with a lot. It is very disappointing to find that Philips have software issues. Mind you, you should have tried a pronto NG when they 1st came out, that was a software nightmare.