• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help - Amps and HD Connectivity

Tricky100

Standard Member
Hi guys,

First of all i want to say thanks for all the views on different products ive read here, this is my first post but i have been reading it for months now. Finally decided on what im going to buy, TV wise its the Panasonic TH42px60 and the amp i was thinking a Sony STR-DA1200, but there is one thing that is really confusing me. It regards HD Connectivity and goes like this, i have an xbox 360 and if i plug it in using component cable to the AMP, then have a HDMI cable going from the amp to the TV is the picture on the TV going to be in HD? or will it be just a normal (analogue i guess) signal. What about my SKY HD box, that goes in using HDMI cable then out over HDMI cable, i guess that stays in HD?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers

A

AndyR

looking at the sony site, the component signal is not upconverted to the hdmi output. in other words, you would connect your sky hd via hdmi, xbox via component. you two need TWO leads from amp to tv. one hdmi, one component. both transfer HD signals. the component connection will upscale if required. i cant see on the site that the analogue connections are upconverted and output via HDMI. i havent got a 360, but doesnt it have a DVI output? you can convert that to hdmi and then use the amp to switch the two signals. hope that helps a bit.

Tricky100

Standard Member
Not too sure, ill have a check in a bit. Damn i already plastered up the wall with just one HD cable going up from the stand to where the TV will be. So this is true of all amps??

mcguiganp

Established Member
andyr is right i'm afraid. You will need two leads going to your tv at the moment. one hdmi and one component, both coming through the sony receiver. I hear that the xbox will be bringing out an hdmi lead soon, that would solve your problem!

lazymatt

Established Member
You could just upgrade the amp to either the 3200 or the 5200. I think both upconvert component to HDMI (check before you buy though).

sk8

Established Member
they won't upgrade the signal but it can be passed out via the HDMI output

A

AndyR

A lot of the newer amps will upscale analogue and convert to hdmi, but you do pay for this. I'm still waiting for the "perfect" amp in terms of ease of connectivity - it'll arrive one day...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom