Help! Amp interfering with TV!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Blenky, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    My amp (Yam RX-V795aRDS) is on a shelf directly under my Philips WS TV. It is separated from the TV by about 3 inches and a glass top the TV sits on.

Recently I have noticed the amp interferes with the TV picture. It is hardly noticeable when watching TV or R2/4 DVDs. However when I play R1 DVDs there is a noticeable flicker in the bottom left hand corner of the screen which disappears when I turn the amp off. If I turn the amp on/off I sometimes get a discoloration on the screen at the bottom left. This I can get rid of by again turning the amp on/off a few times. Seems almost like a degauss!

I don’t know if the fault is with the TV or the amp.

Apart from moving the amp – which would be very difficult with my current set up - is there anything I can put between the TV and the amp that would filter out the interference?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

2. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Nothing is faulty, it will be the magnetic field produced by the amplifiers mains transformer. A sheet of 2 or 3 mm steel will help or mu-metal which is very expensive. I you can find more room then move the amplifier further away. It will help

You should do something otherwise you could permanently effect you picture.

Hope that helps

[ 24-10-2001: Message edited by: Dave Taylor ]