Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HELP: AMD 64 Hyper Transport v INTEL P4 Hyper Threading

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PRINCEGRINCH, Apr 29, 2005.

1. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new computer, but I need help in deciding whether to buy an AMD 64 3400+ Newcastle or an Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz Prescott.

I currently have an AMD Athlon 2800+ (Barton), but I hate the fact that you can't multi task like my brothers Hyper threading Pentium 4.

Is the Hyper Transport on the AMD 64 the same as the Hyper Threading on the Intel Pentium 4, as this is a MUST. I hate burning/encoding DVD's and not being able to do anything else.

Also how much of a difference is there between a nforce3 150 chipset & a a nforce3 250 Chipset?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No they're not the same.
    Hypertransport is a transport technology for high bandwidth chip to chip communications.

Now the Nforce3 150 has an 8 bit wide Hypertransport bus running at 600MHZ. The 250 has a 16 bit wide Hypertransport but running at 800MHz-1GHz

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    But can't the 64 bit Athlon do simultaneous 32 bit tasks anyway, what with it being a 64 bit processor and all.....

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's nothing to do with it being a 64 bit processor.

The OS is resposible for multitasking

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of interest - how much memory do you have?

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    what is the main reason for this upgrade. a major decision is wether you want to future proof. with the P4 its gonna be usless if you want to move to longhorn when it appears. i feel the AMD can do the 32bit app's just as well as the P4 if not in some cases better. gaming wise as well its a no brainer the AMD64 will pee all over the pentium. the only reason for the P4 HT is to like burn a cd and listen to WMP and maybe browse cos of its hyper threading but id go AMD all the way again if it was me

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,852
    I used to have CPU, and i could burn DVD's, browse the web, etc etc, no problems at all. But the problem lies elsewhere in your system, more than likely the storage sub-system.

8. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by multitask? Your brothers machine has the the equivalent of 2 processor cores on one chip. Most applications cannot take advantage of multi processor technology. In many benchmarks the P4 has little or no advantage over the equivalent Athlon XP and the AMD 64's generally are a much better bet than the P4's. We use P4 machines at work and most of them are really poor in comparison to my A64 3500+

Any Athlon XP chip will allow you to Multitask, if you have a decent setup including a minimum of 512Mb of RAM IF you can't then either you have some problems with the applications you use or the Burner you have is not up to much.
    If you get a A64 get the Winchester 90nm versions and use the Nforce 4 boards. The Newcastle cores are not going to be developed much more so the Socket 754 boards are a bit of a dead end.

Your question on Hyperthreading v Hypertransport has already being answered more than adequetly elsewhere.

9. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in this instance the application doesn't need to take advantage - the OS should be able to run one app on one CPU and another on the second. However; HT is not strictly a second CPU (although it sort of looks like on); for true dual cpu cores you need the latest P4 Dual Core chips (840 EE for one) which comprise of dual 64bit CPU's - unsurprisingly these currently command a huge premium.HT simply takes advantage of unused CPU cycles to get on with something else

Oooo now there's a can of worms I'm not going to touch....

Your question on Hyperthreading v Hypertransport has already being answered more than adequetly elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
    It's a bit of a misnomer to do this sort of comparison TBH; without having the same resident services and apps running on both you can't do a like for like comparison

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-12.html makes interesting reading and just really shows it's a matter of 'horses for courses' and there is no overall winner in the AMD V's Intel war.