1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!Alpine radio reception in audi a4

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by Cleggy, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Cleggy

Cleggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im a new user to this forum and im desparate need of some help.

I have a 2004 Audi a4 sport. I have replaced the standard unit (not bose) witha alpine IVA d310R. I have replaced the speakers with JL XR'S and Im running a JL Sub off a genisis amp. Now all is fine with everything until I need the radio which doesnt work at all through the standard areials mounted in the window it wont pick anything up at all! same with any other deck other than the standard one which works fine. Several diferent adaptors have been tried and still no joy we have even had another brain unit that comes with the IVA d310R.

Plug a standard aerial in to the unit and hey presto radio!

Any idea's???

Audi dont want to know and alpine say they have never had it?

Somebody somewhere must have had this issue? or is my car jinxed!

Please please help

Cleggy

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    I've just got a new A4 as a company car and I've been gathering the parts to replace the head unit with a JVC KD-NX901 HDD/Navigation system. Depending on who you believe, there is either an aerial amplifier hidden in the car that requires a power supply fed up the aerial cable or the standard aerial is just not very good. Either way, this page shows a gadget that may help:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/head_unit_fitting_kits/Audi/A4.htm

3. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Most VAG group cars (VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat) use amplified aerials with electronics in the base of the aerial. It requires an adaptor which provides power to give a decent signal if used with a non-OEM headunit.

4. Cleggy

Cleggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garyb

Cheers but we have used one of those, infact tried several.

Thanks to magicboy I will pass this info on to my local installers

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Would you happen to know if the new A4 has a speed pulse available anywhere or is it only available via a CAN bus adapter?

6. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    GALA is pin 1 on the ISO connector, but I'm not 100% if the new CANbus cars still use it.

7. goatlips

goatlips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cleggy,

If it's an avant, replace the aerial base,if it's a saloon replace the aerial amp under the head lining at the rear. Mind you, you said it's ok with the std radio. Magicboy is right, I am a Audi tech :D

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Maybe you can answer a few questions about my proposed install before I pull the dash apart?

It's a new (55 reg) 1.9TDi

Is a speed pulse available on the latest models?

If not, does using a CAN Bus adapter to extract the speed pulse cause any problems?

Is the sub under rear shelf active? If so, is it fed from a line out on the original stereo (a Chorus II)?

I assume a standard Autoleads FP-05-05 fascia adapter will fit OK?

Do you know an Autoleads or other adapter part number for the loom?

9. Cleggy

Cleggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Goatlips

Any ideas on this as you are my only hope with audi! Its 2004 avant (march 04) like i said non bose. Now it wont work with any non standard deck so it has to be something to do with the aerial not getting the power it needs I think? now we have tried several adaptors including several ones of the one we have been told to use to no success.

Now there is another car that comes in to the shop again its a a4 avant but a 53 plate. non bose again using an alpine deck and the radio is fine using the same adaptor we have tried!

Confused you will be!!!

Now is the actual aerial differnt on the 2 cars did audi change anything? that is my question to you... please please please i dont want a non standard aerial and that is what im facing currently or put my old system back in which hurts!

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Speed pulse is only available through can-bus on all Audi A4's after 2002 going into the factory wiring harness. You should be able to get a speed pulse from the abs, you need to take the signal from down in the footwell.
    You can also try and get it from one of the wires that go into the back of the instrument cluster.
    Send me a PM and I will try and dig out some photos, easier than trying to explain.

11. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    need to get yourself an adamptor auto leads ______ 92/52 they work on the passat as well as yours. If you want further info can get part number from my brother. This works with the am appart from the am part of your stereo the fm works fine etc.

12. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just installed an Alpine head unit in my Audi A2 as well. Two things, 1 is the radio reception as mentioned in an earlier post,can only get my local station on the seek option,maybe mine's the same ? ? 2, the lad that installed it says there's no Auxillery from the ignition,so its always powered on.He said if I put an aux in from the ignition I would lose all my radio presets everytime i turned off the ignition ?
    I think he's telling me porkies, he's a bit of a bullsh***ter sometimes.
    Gonna pop in the place I boughtit when I have chance, but any info appreciated. :lease:

13. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, gave up on this unit. Took it out today and put in the Audi head unit. Will just get the Denison iPod adaptor installed.
    1 was the radio reception, and 2, it did'nt look right in my car :mad:

14. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    there are 3 "converters" out there did you try all three auto leads numbers 99/52/53 i think