HELP All recordings disappeared after U61 self check from hdd panasonic dmrbwt720

eg7

Novice Member
Reaction score
Help - are my recordings recoverable? All recordings on the hdd of my Panasonic dmrbwt720 have disappeared after the machine went through a self check/recovery after a U61 error message.

The U61 message has been appearing quite often recently followed by the subsequent self check/ recovery but all my titles had remained until this last time. The titles haven't been deleted as it says time remaining 0.00(DR).

I am a tech novice so have only tried basics - unplugging and going through initialization process on machine to no avail. Is there something else I can try? Anything involving opening up the machine would be beyond me. Can someone please advise if this is likely to be a fixable issue/worth getting an engineer to sort?

Thank you in advance for your time in giving me your response.

Is trying the Panasonic help desk worth a go?

The symptoms suggest hard disk failure, and if it is, unfortunately there is no real prospect of saving your titles.

The only real chance maybe is to keep unpowering it, leave for 10 minutes, then try again.
If you get lucky and the titles come back, NEVER switch it off again.

If you are lucky enough for that to happen then the only prospect of saving the titles would be to transfer them to removable disc ( Bluray or DVD)
After that a new hard drive is probably called for.

It is also possible that failing capacitors are creating corruption and providing this misleading symptom - but given what you have said, that would require service attention.

Thank you for your replies. The Panasonic help desk was my first port of call - they advised me on the initialization process.

Since my posting things moved on quickly and not in a good way - a hdd error message appeared asking me to switch off/on at the mains. That didn't work - the message came up every time the machine was switched back on. Prior to that the machine was still able to function as a DVD player but no longer. I took it to an engineer to look at - he said it was hard disk failure and there was no way of retrieving my recordings.

Too late for me - but hopefully a warning for anyone reading this:- I've had various Panasonic DVD/HDD recorders over the years and the U61 message does appear every so often especially as the machine gets older/become more full - but if it starts to appear too often start to back up all your important titles and quickly. I only had 2-3 days from the sudden frequency of the U61 message to all my titles disappearing.

Bad luck.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom