HELP - All E85 Owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by southpaw, May 3, 2004.

1. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I'm trying to figure out High Speed Transfering on the Panasonic E85.

Can anyone help.

I have already changed the dubbing stting to "ON" before I record the video onto the HDD.
    I then have the cd with arrow logo on it in the Navagiator menu.

By the way the recording is done in XP.

Now the recording is 2 hours long and had been using SP or FR settings to make it fit but it means another 2 hours to record.

Is recording it in XP the problem?

When I try and HST it I get the message that there isn't enough room on the disc.

Sorry for the rambling!

Anyway do I have to record in the setting (e.g SP) first?? I thought it didn't matter!

Any help appreciated. I do have a manual but at the moment can't figure this bit out!!:oops:

2. charlierains

charlierains

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked how much data your dubbing. Discs hold 4.7gb, it tells you how much your dubbing on the thumbnail. If its more than this it will not work. Try HST in SP. I would guess it might need to be 2 hours exactly or 1h 59.59.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can only high speed transfer between HDD and DVD if the dvd is to be recorded at the same quality level as the HDD recording.DVD is limited to 1 hour in XP.You will have to transfer to DVD in SP,or FR

4. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks.

It is more than the disc will take as its been recorded in XP.

However how can this be changed in HST.

I know how to change it in Normal Dub (ie SP or FR)

Any E85 owners know what I mean?

5. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The manual suggests that it can be done regardless of what rec mode was used?:mad:

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your recording is XP,anything longer than 1 hour can only be copied to dvd using FR,or a lower quality level.It CANNOT be done at high speed-not just with Panny,any HDD/DVDR combo is limited the same way

7. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So does that mean in future if I record onto the HDD in Sp it will HST?

And if its longer than 2hrs e.g 2 hrs 15m it will HST in FR??

8. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Or is FR not an option in HST?

Must it be no longer than 2 hrs in Sp, 4hrs Lp etc etc??

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you know the length of your final edit,you won't know which level to use on the HDD to enable transfer to dvd in HSPEED.If you record on the HDD in SP,as long as the recording is no more than 2 hours then HST will function to dvd.
    Are there no more than the usual quality levels(XP,SP,LP,EP,FR) for recording on the HDD.?

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think FR is only an option for real time recording,as FR is asking the machine for a rate conversion,which does not work for HST

11. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah just the usual modes you list.

Ah well I now if the recording is 2 hrs I'll have to do it in SP and Lp for up to 4hrs.

Thanks for your help phelings.

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4 hour level is not good.If the recording is anywhere between 2 and 4 hours,use XP on the HDD and FR for transfer to dvd in real time.I know its a pain,but you will get best possible quality.

13. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If what you want to record is over one hour long then you must set the timer to record in "FR" mode. This way the programme will be recorded at the correct bitrate to just fill a 4.7 DVD to capacity. So whether the programme lasts 75 mins, 90 min or 200 mins etc, your recording will still be the same size (4110GB) and you'll be able to high speed dub it to a DVD-R.

If you record a programme lasting more than one hour in XP mode then it won't fit on to a DVD-R. Your best option then might be to dub it at FR mode to the DVD-R. But it won't be at high speed and the programme will need to be re-encoded in real time during dubbing. So it's much better to record in FR mode in the first place if you plan on transferring it to a DVD-R.

14. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if you want to record 3 hours off Sky+ in 3 separate one hour recording sessions,which will edit down to 2.5 hours,how would you do this?Would you need to wait and do all 3 hours in one go?If so,how do you select the correct 2.5 hour level for a 3 hour recording?

15. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don't do it unless you have to! Any recording over about 2hours 15 mins has a substantial drop in quality as it has to drop to a lower resolution to fit on the media.

Basically high speed dubbing is virtually useless if you want best possible recording qualityunless you are doing multiple copies when you can prepare a master on a ram disc at best possible quality to filll the media using fr at normal recordd speed. Then transfer back to hard disc as a high speed digital copy to create a master to carry out multiple high speed digital transfers to -r media.

16. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you're talking about three one hour programmes being recorded on to the E85 then edited down to 50 mins each:

1. Set the timer on the E85 to record for 2.5 hours in FR mode. Once one of the programmes has been recorded, then stop the recorder.
    2. Repeat for the second programme.
    3. Repeat for the third programme.
    4. Edit each of the one hour programmes to 50 mins

The three 50 mins programmes (totalling 2.5 hours) should just about fill a 4.7GB DVD-R.

(The above is theory and I have not tested it on my E85 yet.)

17. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I'm a bit confused - I have recorded something on the HDD in XP which lasts 1hr 20 mins - I now want to transfer this to DVD in FR to fill the disc and get the best possible recording. I cannot do it!! In the dubbing screen it always says 6 hours recording time when I select FR and I cannot override it. The setting you can overide from 6 hrs in the setup only works when you click start and it simply starts recording immediately - how the hell does one change the FR value for dubbing???? It's driving me crazy. Thanks.

18. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You don't need to, in fr mode the media will hold up to 6 hours if you want it to, possibly by dubbing several programs in one go. However use fr and you will find that your 80 minute recording has completely filled the media, leaving no space availble, hence best possible recording quality. The recorder takes the contents of the dubbing list you have created and exactly fits it to the media size as long as less than 6 hours is required. I haven't tried it but presumably you hit an error message if you try and dub more than 6 hours.

This is also the reason that recordings to the hard drive do not exceed 6 hours as that is the most that can be dubbed to media. IE set your recorder to record an 8 hour program, and it will happily do so but it will result in an initial 6 hour recording and a subsequent 2 hour recording on the list in the hard drive.

19. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    excellent thanks ken. That works perfectly. Maybe I missed it but this is really not described very well in the manual.

20. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that with the E85 if you go to ‘Setup’ and change EP from 6 hour mode to 8 hour, then you should be able to fit up to 8 hours on the HDD/DVD using FR mode (that's if you can live with the low quality of EP 8 hour :eek: ). CaptainH or jesmat2003 can you confirm this? (or anyone else with an E85 for that matter). See if it allows you to set a max recording time of “8 hours 0 minutes” when you select FR from the ‘Functions’ menu.