Help Again Please Guys & Girls...What Speakers....?

Mark Merry

Novice Member
Reaction score
Couple of months ago got some excellent advice from this forum, I had an old pair of Rega Jura Speakers, Nad 3020v2 & and an Old Cyrus CD Player, you suggested my amp was a little under powered for those speakers so i picked up on ebay Cambridge CXA80 which has made a big difference, i also added a node 2i which linked again to the CXA80 sounds so much better..
I live in a First Floor Flat my lounge is 5m x 3m music is mainly Spotify through the node and some CDs plus internet radio im into all kinds of Soul music the Juras are ok but im looking for something better my budget is £750 i read loads of reviews looked at a used pair of LS50 the old ones but still not sure must be old age making me so indecisive......Any Help or Advice Greatly appreciated
Thank You

As an ex Rega Jura owner you would need to spend more than £750 new to better those, their pace rhythm and timing are superb. If anything I would add a sub but that would could be problematic as you in a first floor flat. Are the Jura's not performing correctly because if there is a driver issue Rega have a lifetime warranty. £750 s/hand could get you something better but to be honest you really need to trial speakers in your room to know if they are going sound better. If it helps I upgraded my Juras with Rega RS7s.

As an ex Rega Jura owner you would need to spend more than £750 new to better those, their pace rhythm and timing are superb. If anything I would add a sub but that would could be problematic as you in a first floor flat. Are the Jura's not performing correctly because if there is a driver issue Rega have a lifetime warranty. £750 s/hand could get you something better but to be honest you really need to trial speakers in your room to know if they are going sound better. If it helps I upgraded my Juras with Rega RS7s.
Thank you, maybe its my expectations then the bass is ok much more tight than with the Nad amp i expected maybe the vocals to be better in fairness its probably the source I've played the node through analog and optical inputs both quite similar.Stupid question ive had these speakers stored in garages over the years can i have them serviced would that make any difference

By service all you could really do is replace the drivers - are they damaged? - or the components on the crossover though I have never heard of Rega x-overs giving problems. The caps may be a bit aged so they would be a good candidate for replacement.

Update: Found this from a Jura owner that may help with the 'vocals'

I already wrote a review soem time ago. What I would like to propose here is a quite simple cross-over modification that will smoothen the treble and improve the transition midrange / treble. There is no change of the cut-off frequency, only a slightly different roll-off curve and a slight attenuation in the mid-treble range. Here goes: Change the 3.3 microfarad capacitor for a 3.0 microfarad capacitor and add another 47 microfarad capacitor after the incutance pole, just before the tweeter. What you get is a 3° order cross-over instead of 2° order: 3.0 microfarad in series, then a 0.39 mH inductor in parallel to another capacitor of 47 microfarad in series with the tweeter. I tried at least 10/15 modifications before coming to this conclusion that attenuates the tweeter just where it needs to, without compromising the midrange and keeping the correct phase offset for a still very focused sound in the woofer / tweeter transition. The treble gets less harsh and more refined, especially in combination with my new TAC 34 tube amplifier. Whoever drives these speakers in a rather reverbering room (wooden floor, long flat uncovered walls, windows...) and struggles with a treble that''s a bit too crisp, should try this quite easy modification.

By service all you could really do is replace the drivers - are they damaged? - or the components on the crossover though I have never heard of Rega x-overs giving problems. The caps may be a bit aged so they would be a good candidate for replacement.
No i don't think they are damaged, like i said maybe its my ears, when they were in storage the holes at the back at the bottom of the speakers for whatever reason the kids filled them full off material and cushion filler when i retrieved them from the garage after a few years i did take out all i could see not sure if this could affect anything

Update: Found this from a Jura owner that may help with the 'vocals'

I already wrote a review soem time ago. What I would like to propose here is a quite simple cross-over modification that will smoothen the treble and improve the transition midrange / treble. There is no change of the cut-off frequency, only a slightly different roll-off curve and a slight attenuation in the mid-treble range. Here goes: Change the 3.3 microfarad capacitor for a 3.0 microfarad capacitor and add another 47 microfarad capacitor after the incutance pole, just before the tweeter. What you get is a 3° order cross-over instead of 2° order: 3.0 microfarad in series, then a 0.39 mH inductor in parallel to another capacitor of 47 microfarad in series with the tweeter. I tried at least 10/15 modifications before coming to this conclusion that attenuates the tweeter just where it needs to, without compromising the midrange and keeping the correct phase offset for a still very focused sound in the woofer / tweeter transition. The treble gets less harsh and more refined, especially in combination with my new TAC 34 tube amplifier. Whoever drives these speakers in a rather reverbering room (wooden floor, long flat uncovered walls, windows...) and struggles with a treble that''s a bit too crisp, should try this quite easy modification.
Blimey great info way out of my skill set, would it be an expensive job local to me is this Armstrong Audio | Blackhorse Lane is it worth taking them there...Thank You

At £699 the QA Concept 40 are special speakers.. These are the only speakers of this specification, build and sound quality at this price point. Nothing comes close. Excellent award winning mid range floorstanders for budget money.

You'd be looking at Monitor Audio Gold 200 for similar build quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom