1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Again - Losing Channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Damian, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to my earlier thread reagrding losing certain channels on a Panasonic box following the installation of a 'dual' LNB/second subscription.

Thanks to Starburst's advice, I've tried swopping the boxes and the problems with lost channels seem specific to the Panasonic (and not the new Pace) box.

I believe that Panasonic boxes have problems with certain Cambridge LNBs. Given that the box worked perfectly until the LNB was changed I reckon it must be something to do with this conflict.

Can anyone advise on the options open to me? I have a Sky engineer coming out tomorrow (Monday) but I think it is probably something outside of his control.

Help - I'm geting desperate.

Thanks in anticipation...

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Your first post mentioned a Quad LNB, this post mentions a dual and this might make a difference:)
    The Quad LNB that SKY supplies should have been a Philips badged beast, not aware of any other make supplied since they must have bought in bulk to reduce costs.
    If a dual(Twin) LNB was fitted then it could be a cambridge LNB and that has had genuine problems with some digiboxes.

While the installation work that was done might be good the fact remains that your previous hardware worked and now it does not, all the work carried out was by someone being paid to do the job and it is not unreasonable to expect all the hardware to be the functioning perfectly after the extra bits are installed.
    Don't forget you are paying for two subscriptions and if the problem now does centre around the original Panasonic digibox then don't let them con you into paying any further call out charges, infact I would look to getting subscription refunds until the problem is solved.

3. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst.

I was led to believe that it was a quad LNB but after having a look at it it is definatly a Cambridge dual LNB.

The signals (strength and quality) being recieved on both boxes are in excess of 75% but there is definatly something wrong between the Cambridge LNB and the Panasonic box.

I don't really want the 'its your box' excuse from them and would perhaps prefer for a different LNB to be installed.

Nothing in life seems simple anymore...

4. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a quick look around and I think this is the LNB I've got:-

Cambridge, Twin Switched Universal LNB, 9.75/10.60GHz, Horn fed, 0.7dB.

Its only about a tenner difference (retail) to buy the following Philips quad LNB:

Philips Quad Switched Universal LNB, with universal bracket for Sky Digital Minidish.

Perhaps Sky would perhaps pay for the 'upsize' - it must be cheaper than multiple call-outs?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    First the Cambridge LNB problem with some digiboxes is a KNOWN fault although I do not know if it was a single batch of units produced or a design wide fault.
    However the installer should attempt every to replace everything to track down the fault, the first is to try a different digibox and then check the cable from the box to the LNB. Check the alignment of the dish and then finally the LNB.
    As you can prove the fault seem to be in the Panasonic then it is only a question if it's a showing the results of a incompatabilty with the LNB or an actual internal tuner fault.
    Since the Panasonic worked ok before SKY messed areound with your installation then they are responsible and at no extra cost to you get both boxes working, again you are paying for both subscriptions so should demand that both boxes work.

Look on the bright side, when you explain what is happening he might just nip up the ladder, replace the twin with a quad and you are away:)