1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: AG Micros or KEF Qs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Allos, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

I am new to this forum. Hello :)

Okay, here is my dilemma. The Mrs finally agreed to buy a new set of speakers and we will be moving to a new apartment pretty soon.

I have listened to the KEF Q7s and AG Micros. To me, the Q7s sound better. The AG Micros sounded ... kind of dull ... the high frequency was not "clear" if you know what I mean. The AG Micros sale rep said that those speakers were not broken in yet (only used for about 20 hrs).

Now I am considering 2 speaker systems:

(a) AG Micros
    (b) KEF Q7s + Q9c + Q8s + 1 sub

Price would more or less the same for these the packages I think.

Which would give better sound? I have yet to decide on which amp to buy, and it will be around 60% music 40% DVD.

Any comment would be welcome! Thanks!

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Can't comment on the AG Micros but all the Kef Q range get rave reviews. There is also a thread, Kef Q7, which you have already probably seen.

Its personal choice but I and 7thguest have tried smaller sub stat systems and both ended up going to full size speakers.

3. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't be without my Q35.2 floorstanders now :D

Missus isn't so happy but you can't have evrything in this life can you :devil: :devil:

7ThGuest

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No no no,
    Small is beautiful.

Allos,
    In the average room, you also have a better chance of quality sound with smaller speakers. To save my typing finger, I have talked about this at length on this thread.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62508

Attached Files:

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I'd pop back once the Gallos sats have had some more hours in their drivers. A friend of my demoed these for me months ago, and they gave my Mission 75series set up a good run for its money. I brought some recently, to improve the family room set up, they sounded poor out of the box, and didn't really start to sing, the way i'd heard them at my previous demo, until they'd 50-100 hours under their belts.

spence

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Different camps again Eric!! or is this more subjectivity ;)

Not going to hijack this thread I'm off before WWIII starts, or has it already.

Regards

7ThGuest :)

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all. It's a fact.
    You need to read up. Would you like some links?

8. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Eric

Please feel free I think a pm rather than b@&&*ing up someone elses thread eh!!.

It may seem, to you, that I shoot from the hip on occasion, god knows we all have at some time or another. But I do read a lot of threads and other material/reviews before making a comment.

But as I have said on many occasions, and will continue to do so I might add: I knows what I like!!

Regards

Edited to add part of Eric's earlier comment 'better chance' !!!

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ???:confused: :confused: Look at the title. It says help with Gallo's or Kefs. In case you didn't know. I happen to know a little bit about both. Thanks for your expert contributions as always.

10. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Touchy, touchy Eric :(

No offence intended but I thought it was an 'open forum' where any member could make a comment 'expert' or not. After all I can talk of my personal experiences, with my own Kef's, can't I??

I was indeed aware of the subject matter but as you seemed to wish to educate me (as in several of the other threads), cant educate pork u know, I thought it would be more appropriate to pm but obviously you know best.

Kind regards, as always.

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now you're making some sense.

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Dragging this thread back on topic, give the B&W VM1's a listen. They're rather splendid.

13. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys!

Thanks for your comments :)

I have listened to both speaker packages. The KEFs sounded just like what would I expect from them. Whether I buy them or not would be decided if I could find similar priced but better aesthetic/ sound value.

I thought I found that when I discovered the Micros. Having read so many favorable comments, I went and had an audition. I was rather surprised and disappointed by their performance. For a sat/ sub system, you would expect good treble/ mid range. The Micros I listened to sounded ... eh ... less than impressive. Using them to watch DVDs were good, thanks to the sub. But listening to Pink Floyd (yeah!), it sounded like they were covered by something... mid/ hi range were not clear. The sales rep told me that they were not broken in yet, only 20 hrs or so.

This is the reason why I am considering the KEFs again. The missus preferred the Mircos because of how cute they look. I would want to like them but at the moment I have my doubts.

14. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I simply cannot stress how much a difference in sound you will hear once the Gallo are fully runned in, and unless you have them runned-in for a minimum of 3-4 weeks (over 100 hours), you will hardly hear any mid-range or bass at all. Once fully runned in though, the gallos mid-range becomes so much more apparent , overall it sounds fuller and it sounds anything but dull.

As for your comment regarding the mid/ hi range were not clear, well thats the exact opposite to what I'm hearing from them now:p

15. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you on this one. When I listened to the micros I was very impressed with them for film, but not so impressed with them for music. They will sound better in a few weeks, so I would go and have another listen then.

Also I think that you could do better than the Q7's. I wasn't particularly impressed with the any of the Q range (I have listened to all but the dipoles and the center). Try and get a listen to the new Monitor Audio silver series, S6's or S8's maybe. I was very impressed with them.

16. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got my Gallo's Micros, I would have been inclined to agree with you, that they sounded fantastic with Movies, but not up to much when it came to Music.

However as time has gone on, the Gallos are starting to sound superb. I listened to Radiohead - Kid A, on the weekend, and I was hearing all sorts of sounds and noises that I never even knew existed. It sounded great!!!!

Never really been a huge fan of this album until now.

17. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's my favourite Radiohead album, I'll have to give it a try on the gallo's. And would also add that I didn't reckon the gallos for music until they had had about three or four weeks of use, they sound fantastic once run in. Ask the shop to arrange another demo when they are properly run in you won't be disappointed.

18. E Hinge

E Hinge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are very many satisfied owners of the Anthony Gallo speakers on this forum and a search will find many threads for you to look at. My friend HB and myself both use them and think that they are wonderful.

I have heard the Kef speakers and they are nice but quite frankly not in the same class. In my opinion Anthony Gallo have them beaten on the grounds of both looks and sound.

Buy them now and you won't regret it

19. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't heard the Kef's but the Gallos are fantastic. In my view they excel in reproducing high frequencies :).

20. Billy Nomates

Billy Nomates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A master of the mixed metaphore but we know where you're coming from - I think :confused: :D :confused:

21. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi groundy or anyone!!

got any pics of your kit, just interested to see how different fittings/ stands etc make them look.

cheers m8

22. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Billy :D haven't I met you somewhere before !!

Think I'll sit in the corner and eat worms :)

7ThGuest

23. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I will give the Micros another audition later (give them time to warm up!)

But a bit surprised tho to hear that once break in the Micros can easily beat the Qs. :D