• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help & advice on buying an External Hard Drive and transferring data.

Radioheadcase

Standard Member
Hello. I'm looking for a External Hard Drive to use for Time Machine Backups.

I have this old WD 500GB but it's full and Time Machine is now erasing old Backups on it.

I'd ideally like to Get a 2TB External Hard Drive and transfer the data from the 500GB one, on to it. Then erase the old one and use it only for my PS3.

What's the easiest way to do that, and which Hard Drive should I get?

Maybe this?

Budget's about £100

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance folks.

PeterH988

I have a couple of the 1TB version of that drive I use for TM, never had any problems with it.

Do you *really* need to transfer your existing TM backup, or could you just start again from scratch?

D

Deleted member 171211

I would second Peter's query about whether you need to transfer the backup and whether it wouldn't be easier to start again. You'll lose the history of some of your files, but it will still do a complete backup of your disk.

tasman

That seems a very good price for a 2TB drive. I've only got a 300 gb drive and I've just tried to do my first backup on my new iMac with TM and of course it just laughed at me :). So I'm in the market for a new drive. Does anyone know of anything better for this price or is this the best I can get.

Radioheadcase

Standard Member
You should be able to format the WD drive for OSX and then copy over the entire contents of the drive. However, there are some restrictions, as I found in this link:

Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 18. How can I copy my TM backups to a different location?

Oh and that drive will be fine, but if you can find one with a firewire port, even better - it will be a bit quicker.

Thought it would be easier than that. That seems a bit beyond my capabilities....

I have a couple of the 1TB version of that drive I use for TM, never had any problems with it.

Do you *really* need to transfer your existing TM backup, or could you just start again from scratch?

I would second Peter's query about whether you need to transfer the backup and whether it wouldn't be easier to start again. You'll lose the history of some of your files, but it will still do a complete backup of your disk.

Yeah, I think I'll start from scratch and get a small external HD for the PS3 when I have the money.

Any quick advice on the best way to format?

That seems a very good price for a 2TB drive. I've only got a 300 gb drive and I've just tried to do my first backup on my new iMac with TM and of course it just laughed at me :). So I'm in the market for a new drive. Does anyone know of anything better for this price or is this the best I can get.

Was the best I found and It arrived today looking all shiny and pretty. :)

Thanks for all your help guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom