1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Advice needed...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hjEx, Jun 25, 2001.

1. hjEx

hjEx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Any help appreciated

I am the proud owner of a Sony VPL-VW10HT video projector and now it´s time to invest in sound.
    I have about £4000 to spend. (Speakers, amplifier and cables)
    I have a dedicated cinema room with about 50 m2. (10 x 5 metres)
    Music is not a crucial factor in my decision (95% cinema, 5% music)
    I would like 7.1 sound so I considered two choices:

System 1:
    1 Denon AVC-1SE
    Jamo THX System 2 - D 6PTX plus one pair of D 6SUR for 7.1 sound.

System 2:
    1 Denon 3801
    1 pair of B&W DM603 S2 (front channel)
    1 B&W LCR6 (centre channel)
    2 pairs of B&W DM602 S2 (surround and surround back channels)
    2 B&W ASW1000 subwoofers

After reading Audio Perfectionist Issue #1 not sure about THX certification
    nullAVS Forum

System 2 about £500 cheaper

So what do you think of this two choices?
    Any other option?
    Other system?
    Please any comment highly appreciated.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have anywhere that can audition the systems for you? I know you mentioned cables, but be prepared for the extra cost of decent cabling, as the room is quite large.

3. hjEx

hjEx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is one of the problems Arthur.
    I can´t find a single place whith this systems to try, just separates.
    One place has the amplifier other the fronts other the center...

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hjEx,
    It's difficult to put this but I really don't think you will be disappointed with either system. The A1SE is an incredible amp but the 3801 teamed with the B&W's should sound superb.
    Tough call. I would personally buy the A1SE and create a rock solid foundation for your system, but the choice is yours.

Arthur.S
    Did you know that HCC are on the lookout now for d.i.y. home cinema setups? Thought you might be interested.

Mark

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know somewhere that has both amps? At least you could hear them both, even if not with the speakers that you want to partner them with. Same goes for the speakers. If not the full set, then maybe centre V centre, etc? If that's still not possible, then you've got a nice problem. :)
    The first system, would probably have the edge. Although the B&Ws are more musical, I think the AVC-1SE would cancel that advantage out. The Jamo THX system has a terrific rep. Confess though, that I've not heard them. I do know, that you won't be disappointed in either system!
    Mark,
    I did send details in to HCC, but never heard anything back. IMHO the first reader's DIY HC should be Fulabeers. Mine is more a room 'makeover'. His really does look the Biz. Whatever he's doing for a living, IMO he should stop now & pursue a career in HC installs! :)

6. hjEx

hjEx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advices.
    No Arthur I have no place to make a side by side comparison of the two amplifiers.
    When you say that Jamo THX System has a terrific rep you meant good or bad?
    I know that B&W are more musical but my main concern about Jamo is if the 80HZ low range is enough to have enough bass in center and front channels even if the bass under 80Hz is routed to subwoofer.
    A friend of mine has a Sony system (SS-X7 - 35Hz to 25.000 Hz - front and SS-TX7 center and surronds SA-WX90 sub with Sony STR 940)and doesnt matter choosing large or small in speakers I always feel that voices and music has always little bass and lots of mids and highs and then you feel all the transition to sub that is very powerfull, sound seems and feels disconected.)
    In the other hand my room will be hometheater dedicated and so I think that dipoles will give more envolvement and difuse sound because I dont like very localized surround sounds.
    With B&W DM 602 S2 will this happen?

7. hjEx

hjEx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I stretch a little and go for AVC-A1SE with the B&W will sound be improved over the Jamo THX System 2.
    As my primary target will be movies are the B&W a better choice over Jamo (THX Ultra certification, dipoles surrounds)?

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hjex,
    Remember, I can only give you my opinion. I don't own any of the equipment that you mention. Are there any reviews (maybe on this site) that you can check out first?
    By the way, 'terric rep' means good. :)
    I don't have 7.1, but I would think that 'localisation' isn't as much a problem as with 5.1?

9. hjEx

hjEx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I know Arthur.S that it is your opinion and I apreciate it.
    But check this article outHome Theater Magazine

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terrific review. A shame that they didn't include bi-poles though. :(