Help / Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by stonking, Nov 26, 2010.

1. stonking

stonking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, so SMART says my hard disk is dying, so does Windoes Vista so I have brought a new one. My existing hard drive has 3 partitions. What I need to know is, Windows says it will image my existing drive to the new drive. Does this mean I need to put 3 partions on my new drive or will it do that automatically? I have assumed it will copy all my software as well etc. Does Windows do this well or should I get some software to do this. What I want to be able to do it put the new drive it, let something copy it all over to the new drive to the old. Shut down then re-start using only the new drive and its all exactly as it is now except not warning me its going to die.

Thanks

Stephen

2. jasonf01

jasonf01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I would think that if Windows is going to do the imaging you should be OK with installed software etc.

I dont know what the Vista one does, having never used it, but if its worth its salt it will allow you to resize all partitions as a custom option (and probably try to retain or suggest partition sizes as a default action).

There are others available though. I use a 3rd party one (which is why I havent seen the Windows one - I didnt even know it existed lol).

Jas.

3. stonking

stonking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I will let you know how it goes. I see that I only have it because I use Vista Ultimate, home and premium do not have it as standard.

Regards

4. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    if you get stressed out with vistas try using easeus partition master home edition.

its free and i swear by it!

you can delete, create, move, rename partitions
    copy single partitions
    copy entire drives to a new one and it will usually balance the partitions on the new drive to equal values of your current one.

so say your current hdd is 60gb with 3x20gb partitions and your new drive is 600gb. it will usually then create 3 partition on your new drive of 200gb each.

hope that makes sence.

anyway, GREAT software and a GREAT price, that being FREEEEEEEE lol

5. stonking

stonking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks I might just do that. This is shaping up as a weekend job. Oh and my partions are 50gb, 30gb, and 420gb. New drive is 1tb.

6. gis2010

gis2010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think for the system partition you should do the imaging but for the other two you can just copy and paste them in the new external drive.