1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help/Advice needed, which projector for under £1000?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by imranthebinman, Dec 25, 2003.

1. imranthebinman

imranthebinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

For the last two or so months, I have been completely undecided about how to invest in suitable upgraded visual equipment. I knew it was time to upgrade form from Sanyo 21" 4:3 TV (which has, for the best part of 6 years, served me flawlessly), but was unsure in which direction to throw my hard-earned cash.

To fill you in, I have an xbox (used for gaming and DVD) and a Sony HTK-25 amp and speaker combo. The equipment I will buy will be for large sized bedroom.

For the last month, I have been resolute in my decision to buy a Loewe Aconda 32" set for c.£1400. However, after spending Christmas Eve at a friend's house, and seeing his setup, I have changed my mind (and can't really justify spending that kind of money on one TV, no matter how much I lie to myself!).

So, after much scratching of head and clicking of mouse, I have decided to go the route of projector and 28" TV (probably the Sony KV32LS36S from RGB for £419 inc VAT and stand). As it's for the bedroom, a 28" set is fine, and, as I will be using the projector for xbox gaming (so HDTV compatability is a bonus) and DVD watching, again, through the xbox, I am not too fussed that's it's only 50Hz

So, my questions are thus:

Given that I have a budget of £1400, and £400 is used up on a TV, which projector should I go for? I have had a preliminary look online (using Pricerunner, Dealtime etc.) and have come across both LCD and DLP projectors. Which type is best? Can I get a decent one of either type for under £1000? Are there any manufacturers I should steer clear of? Am I making the right decision?

The projector will be the single most expensive item I've ever bought, so I want to make sure I'm looking in the right places and at the right things.

Any answers/experiences which you think might help me in my decision are gratefully appreciated and accepted.

Thanks to all who take the time to read and reply.

Merry Christmas,

-Steve.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    I prefer DLP myself, and the only one that comes to mind under £1000 is the Infocus X1. It's 800 x 600 but produces a nice image.

Make sure you demo before you buy any projector, because each technology has it's own pros and cons - and some people see a 'rainbow effect' from DLP which can spoil the image for them.

Gary.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my hands on the Sanyo Z1, i'm new to all this by the way but heres what i think.

Got it set up temp justnow in the living room, it's projected onto a magnolia coloured wall with a nail sticking out for a picture, and i am totally amazed at the quality, watched lots of films already and it's great, for £995 from 7oaks justnow you cant go wrong, but as i said, i'm just a beginner but thats my opinion...........

Cant believe i actually thought about spending £1500.00 on a rear projection now ;)

Better go now, away to watch Monsters Inc :hiya:

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wait a few months and you will find a low hour Z2 for your budget

ad

6. GrahamC

GrahamC