• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Help/Advice needed to choose a new monitior

plaver

Prominent Member
My trusty Sony AW series laptop screen has gone kaput and I've quote around 300 quid to have replaced now I'm thinking of getting another monitor to use with my laptop base and also when needed to be used with my iMac as well.

Lag isn't an issue as I'm not a gamer, I'm more interested in picture quality for playing movies, video, either online or from my hard-drive.

Possible 4k would be nice if a good one isn't to pricey
looking up 27inch
Must have Speakers

Any ideas/Suggestions???

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The HiDPI/Retina screens are nice ('4K' being the equivalent of 1920x1080) but not every machine and piece of software supports them yet.

Your iMac may do, it would need to be a model with DisplayPort 1.2 or Thunderbolt 2. The Sony AW series only seems to have come with an HDMI & VGA port so it would be limited to either 2560x1600 or 1920x1200 depending on the HDMI version.

next010

Distinguished Member
Some monitor makers allow you to filter features, Asus, BenQ and some it's a matter of searching.

The Asus 27" fits the bill, 27", HDMI, 1080p, speakers and good image quality (so IPS panel type) plus dual digital HDMI inputs. You will need a Displayport to HDMI adapter to use it with the Mac. Set display to sRGB mode in it's settings for something approaching a standards based look. I'd look at some Youtube reviews of it at least.

Thats an older model display but it was a high end when it came out, there are some other speaker equipped displays on Amazon from various brands, Dell do some as well but you have to dig through their site to see which ones have it.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom