Help & Advice needed please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark P, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pretty new to home cinema, at present i have a tosh 32"wide screen tv and sd3107 dvd player, jvc vcr and a grundig sky digibox. i now feel its time to upgrade, or should i say add, a bit of bite and boom into the sound system. to many this may sound like a silly question, but remember i'm still a bit of a homecinema virgin, or should i say havn't gone all the way yet. (IN THE AV DEPARTMENT!) What im trying to say is what is the difference between a amplifier and a processor. Does it matter which one i buy?, or do i need both? I think i will be buying the mission fs speaker system, so the question really is, "with the equipment that i already have what else do i need for a half decent set-up?". any help will be much appreciated.When i go into my local sevenoaks to try out some equipment, i don't want to sound like the novice i am. look foward to some replys
    Mark P

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,425

Mark
    You need an amplifier , processors need seperate power amps to drive the speakers, and are generally quite expensive options.
    My advise would be to go for a good all in one AV AMP like Yamaha,Denon,Pioneer or Sony any good dealer will be able to advise you.

Happy viewing Carl.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    The names BUELLER...FERRIS BUELLER.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mark

A processor is basically a box with all the electronics that decode the Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital or Dts soundtrack but without its own amplification. You would need to buy a separate amp/s which would amplify the decoded soundtrack and send it to the speakers. As the previous poster said, these are usually more expensive than an all in one unit. A Home-Cinema amp has the processor or decoders as they are called built in as well as amplification. You may come across something called a reciever. This is a home-cinema amp with a built in RDS radio.
    Another option that may be open to you is that if you have a DVD player with a built in decoder (I don't know if your model does. See if there are audio outputs around the back marked Front-Left, Front-Right, Centre, Rear-Left, Rear-Right and Subwoofer.) you could use a couple of old stereo amps you might have lying around or buy a second hand Dolby Pro Logic Amp with 5 channel input. Sound quality wise however this would be the least preferable choice with the best price/performance option being a new Amp or Reciever and the expensive/high performance option being a processor with quality amplification.

------------------
    Don't be a don't be.......Be a do be!
    HomePage - http://gofree.indigo.ie/~deveney