• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help/Advice needed (I'm 100% pants @ DIY!)

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

Here's a pic of our current setup (actually the pic is out of date, but you get the general idea!).

SA700962.jpg

It's currently a 95" wide screen on a 105" wide wall, with a 5" border on each side.

Now what I'd like to do is have some kind of false wall built in the centre to allow the PJ screen to sit proud.

I'd also like to narrow the PJ screen a little, just to allow for some floorstanding speakers at each side.

I like what Homerdog has done here:

hc6.jpg

lounge.jpg

Although I only want to reduce in size enough to allow speakers in, I'd also like to do something with our kit (XBOX/PS3/Wii/Sky HD box/Amp) to make it a little nice to look at and easier to get to in the event that I need to get at the back of the kit (like I had to do the other day with our Sky box!).

All suggestions, advice, offers of help (!) are very welcome indeed!

Thanks. :)

subterracineman

Standard Member
Hello

Whats the width of the room?

How much space do you want to leave for speakers?

Are you going to be painting the screen on?

Let me know and I'll see if I can throw a design or 2 together for you.

Regards

Kevin

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hello

Whats the width of the room?

How much space do you want to leave for speakers?

Are you going to be painting the screen on?

Let me know and I'll see if I can throw a design or 2 together for you.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks. :)

The room is the size of the screen ("105").

I'd like to leave just enough room for floorstanders, as I want to lose as little screen size as I can.

I'm 'probably' going to paint the screen again, but I haven't decided yet.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

subterracineman

Standard Member
The options are fairly limited as to where stuff can go.

I think the old floating wall is the way to go, about 100mm off the backwall with a light around it, have a look at grooves;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/592961-grooves-new-lounge-floating-wall-build.html

The difference will be in the quality of the finish. Either get a good carpenter to build it, or do it yourself following forum advice with every step.

The drawing shows a gap at the sides of 8" which should be enough for the speakers.

Good luck

Kevin

Attachments

• azzin1.jpg
    azzin1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
The options are fairly limited as to where stuff can go.

I think the old floating wall is the way to go, about 100mm off the backwall with a light around it, have a look at grooves;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/592961-grooves-new-lounge-floating-wall-build.html

The difference will be in the quality of the finish. Either get a good carpenter to build it, or do it yourself following forum advice with every step.

The drawing shows a gap at the sides of 8" which should be enough for the speakers.

Good luck

Kevin

I really like that, thanks.

I also like the idea (although I'm not sure how easy/practical it would be) of a floating shelf (or two if needs be) under the PJ screen to put the 360/PS3 etc on.

The higher up they can be, the better as far as I'm concerned as that makes life easier in the event of needing to unplug something (not v easty at the moment).

What do you reckon?

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

[Edit] - So if there's an 8" gap at each side for the speakers and then a 5" border round the screen, that leaves a screen width of 79".

105" - 2 x 8" = 89", then minus 10" for the border = 79" screen width (down from 95").

Is that right?

So now I just need to work out what the height of the screen will be if the width is 79".

Thanks again.

Last edited:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
According to the calculator at Projector Central (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD70-projection-calculator-pro.htm), if the screen width is 79", then height is 39" (it's currently 54.5" high).

The total height of the room from floor to ceiling is 93", with a 5.5" gap between the ceiling and the screen frame.

So.....

Could I bring the screen down slightly (instead of a 5.5" gap above the frame, have maybe a 10" gap)?

Then if the screen height is 49" (including 10" for a 5" frame all round) that would mean the bottom of the screen frame is 36" above the floor (I think!)

I currently have the following equipment, that I want to 'shelve':

• Onkyo Amp.
  • Sky HD Box.
  • XBOX 360.
  • PS3.
  • Wii.
  • MA Centre Speaker.
  • Jamo Subwoofer.
  • Wii Fit Balance Board.
  • USB Turntable (although I may move that into our office where my PC is).

Would that be feasible on 2 floating shelves right under the bottom of the PJ screen (i.e as high up as possible)?

Cheers.

Any chance of a Sketchup of that? :oops:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom