1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help/Advice needed! Have I blown my amp with my new DJ equipment?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve237, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I need some help/advice here! :lease:

I bought myself a pair of CD decks and mixer and had a slight problem at the weekend...

I was about an hour into a mix session when I noticed a strange smell in the room. I went out of the room and when I came back I saw smoke coming out of the vents on top of the amplifier, with an orange smouldering glowing beneath.

I quickly switched it off at the mains (incidently, the music hadn't stopped) and unplugged the thing, got it on the kitchen table and opened it up to see what had happened.

What I found was 4 black squares (I assume these are transistors) and one of them had a small melted hole in the middle. On it, it says:

SAP15
    PO

I'm using a Cambridge Audio A500 (output 50W).

I'd got the decks plugged into the mixer (obviously) and the mixer plugged into the CD phono sockets in the back of the amplifier. I was playing it pretty loud, but the amplifier volume was only on about 50% volume.

Does anyone have any idea what has happened, what I should do and whether it was something I did such as wired it up wrong? Should I have been using the AUX/PHONO inputs on the amp instead of CD? Does it matter what input phono sockets I use on the amp?

I called Cambridge Audio and they seem to think I may have blown part of the output protection by using powerful equipment (the cd decks & mixer), but he admitted he didn't really know and was making an assumption. He says I need to get it repaired, but if I have put too much power through it then I need a better amplifier, not a repaired one that isn't up to the job.

By the way, my speakers are floor standing Mordaunt Short Avant 906's which are 150W and are bi-wired.

If the advice is to get a better amp, then what do I look for to ensure I don't end up doing the same thing? Is this one from Richer Sounds any good: http://ws4.richersounds.com/showpro...C352-TIT&SID=b84a1f01fbab0e49dfd3da578e0f75f8

2. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been told over on djforums.com that my Cambridge Audio A500 wasn't up to the job. They say I need a Power Amp if I want to get the best out of my 150W RMS 4-8 ohm speakers. Would people agree on here? My amp was only 50W.

They say that I should look for a power amplifier with 1.5-2 times the Watts as my speakers (225-300W). Is this right?

If anyones got any recommendatiuons for a good power amplifier, let me know.

Is it right that I can use my mixer as the pre-amp? The last thing I want to do is blow my mixer too (Ecler SMAC Pro 30).

Thanks for any help here. I'm keen to get myself up and running again!

3. Andy Dee

Andy Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ouch!

Pesronally i would have been using the AUX input on the amp. I don't think it would have mattered how loud the volume control of the amp was, but what was crucial was the signal that you were sending from the Mixer.

The Mixer acts like a pre-amp and some Mixers are capable of sending quite 'Hot' signals to whatever input source its connectd to.

The Aux input usually is the most forgiving of these.

Just a guess based on the info you've given.