Help/Advice - Extending home network to detached garage

Smudgster

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im currently converting 3/4's of my garage into a games room where i will house my Race simulator, xbox 360, ps3.

My question is the best way to get internet to the garage?? The garage is about 5mtrs from the house. I currently run a SKY router and a network cable to the living room. Is it best to run a cat6 cable from the sky router to the garage?? Once in the garage I will need about 5 ports??

What do i need to purchase to get the best connection/internet supply in the garage

Thanks in advance

SImon

Absolutely - running in some UTP cabling is the best way to go, especially if you're considering online gaming via your ISP link indoors.

If it were me, I'd install a conduit (pipe basically - flexi/ribbed plasic tube from your local DIY store) either buried in the garden or flown over a walkway as your needs dictate with a drawstring left inside (for future recablings) and pull a UTP cable or two through it (never hurts to have a spare - UTP is cheap compared to the hassle of installing it.)

On the end of said cable, you then need an ethernet switch to provide as many "ports" as needed to connect up your devices.

If you've got electricity out the garage from the house already, maybe look at using homeplugs (see the FAQ here) and save yourself the hassle of a cable install.

Last edited:
Hi Mick

Ive done some reading on the homeplugs and im just concerned that i would experience lag if i was gaming on them.

Will do some more reading

SImon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom