HELP: Acoustic Energy AEGO M speakers

3T3L1

Hi,

I've just received a new set of these (as recommended on here, no less) but already have a problem with them.

I've set them up etc and unless the subwoofer speaker volume is on max the sound only comes out of the right speaker. As you turn the volume up on the sub, more sound starts to come out of the left speaker but it's only truely stereo when the sub volume is on max.

I've checked the balance on my PC soundcard (it's centered), tried mixing the wires and the speakers up (same effect, so it's not the wires or a faulty speaker) and also plugged the speakers up to my MP3 player (same effect). I can't leave the speakers on max all of the time as they're a) very loud (even adjusting my internal soundcard to the lowest hearable volume is still loud) and they emit a very annoying buzzing noise when on max volume. I want the sub in a corner and so don't want to be messing with the volume all of the time as well (and to be fair, for £90, I shouldn't have to be!)

I assume this isn't normal, but before they go back is there anything I've missed..?

Thanks in advance

adampriestley

Standard Member
Hi,
I also own a set of acoustic energy aego m's and have experienced similar problems to the ones you describe. However this is only when using the headphone socket on the front of the sub, which i presume you are using to connect to your pc? I personally do not use this socket, i have an interconnect cable running from the speakers to an amp and this works perfectly. The other way of resolving your problem would be to buy a cable such as the j2p interconnect by QED, it connects into left and right on the sub but then into a minijack headphone socket on the music device, ie the computer.
I hope this helps and you enjoy these speakers as at their best they are truly awesome for their size.
Adam.

3T3L1

Hi,
I also own a set of acoustic energy aego m's and have experienced similar problems to the ones you describe. However this is only when using the headphone socket on the front of the sub, which i presume you are using to connect to your pc? I personally do not use this socket, i have an interconnect cable running from the speakers to an amp and this works perfectly. The other way of resolving your problem would be to buy a cable such as the j2p interconnect by QED, it connects into left and right on the sub but then into a minijack headphone socket on the music device, ie the computer.
I hope this helps and you enjoy these speakers as at their best they are truly awesome for their size.
Adam.

They've gone back and a new set are arriving (hopefully tomorrow).

Was using the line out of my soundcard to go to the sub, so not touching the headphone socket (using the single jack to L/R plug supplied with the speakers). I also tried it with my MP3 player with the same results...however, connecting my old speakers back to the same line in port gave stereo sound. There was also a very annoying buzzing noise when the speakers were on max.

Every review of these suggests they're going to be good...will see soon.

I'm hopefully going to get a new soundcard to boost my integrated soundcard as well to further get good results from these...if they work this time :)

3T3L1

Well...they've arrived and...God they're nice.

Still playing with combinations of volume, bass and speaker positions, but overall my favourite bit is the depth they give the sound.

Thanks to everyone who recommended them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom