1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Accidentally erased HDD of Panasonic DMR-E100H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Harry H, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Harry H

Harry H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In trying to format a new DVD-RAM it looks like I've erased the entire contents of my HDD. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, and want to be sure that it has gone for ever. (Ironically I was just about to make copies to discs of this material never likely to be broadcast again.) Is there any way I can access the HDD and check (like one can on a computer), and if the recordings are still there recover them?

Thanks.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    No, i'm afraid they're lost forever.

'never likely to be brodacs again' ?

I found that hard to believe by today's 'standard' of TV scheduling.

What were they?

3. Harry H

Harry H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your interest Kevo.

They were the BBC4 broadcasts from Shakespeare's Globe of 'Richard II' and 'Measure for Measure'. Although that channel seems to repeat a lot of programmes (like 3 times a night sometimes!) these long programmes may not get scheduled again (they have both been repeated once, shortly after their initial broadcast).

Because they have a minority audience the BBC are unlikely to release them onto DVD, and The Globe say the cost of the rights would be too prohibitive for them.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I'm alway wary when making deletions on my E100 and have got in the habit of always glancing at the menu first to make sure that i'm on DVD RAM and not HDD especially when formatting.

The newer range (E85/95) are much more clearer on what mode you are in as they brightly colour code each on the main fascia display.

I just know it's only a matter of time when I slip up!

This is all of no use to and sorry I can't be of any help.

It may be worth asking (in the right forum) to see if anybody has recorded these programmes and send you a copy.

5. Harry H

Harry H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is frustrating is that Format takes no notice of the individual Programme Protection, which of course I had set up. It doesn't even prompt to say that it will erase what is 'protected'!

Oh well...it won't happen to me again!

6. Tocsin

Tocsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long shot, but it may be worth contacting one of the PC data recovery companies, if you haven't already overwritten the hard disc with new recordings. They are very expensive though!

7. jinkzzz

jinkzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did exactly the same thing and could not retrieve the full disc of programs I had. I even took the hdd out of the E100 and tried to read it in a Windows XP based PC. The disc was recognised by the bios, but not the way it was formatted. It's obviously not an NTFS or FAT system and may be proprietary Panasonic format. Does anybody know?

8. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    its not xp format partions, took a drive out to try and clone it to a larger drive.

Didnt work.

9. willemb

willemb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be its a LINUX format. I don't expect Panasonic to set up a proprietary format since this requires a lot of software to develop and maintain. Moreover for each simple read- write- or format task they would have to write their own routines. Yet as the recorder needs some sort of operating system and basic LINUX has a very small size, it is quite possible that they used a LINUX core. Has somebody tried this already ?

WVB