Help: About to buy Acer 17" LCD monitor for console gaming

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Sega Ages, Aug 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Sega Ages

Sega Ages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a week or so of research in the area of LCD monitors, I think I know what I want for my Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube and older consoles.

Sadly XRGB-2 converters only sound like they convert 60hz NTSC signals, and I need something that vga-converts both 60hz NTSC and 50hz PAL. So instead of using a vga-converter I will be using native S-Video.

I've selected this display from Acer's professional series, which has a 20ms HyDis panel that apparently has slightly less ghosting than most of the latest 12ms panels...

Acer AL1731 monitor
    http://***********/56fp5

The res on this monitor is 1280 x 1024. I plan to use native VGA for the few consoles that support it (Dreamcast, Gamecube?) and S-Video for the rest. I hope it autoscales decently to full screen...

I don't think it has native 90 degree tilt for vertical shooters but these things are light enough to pick up and rotate as-is (more so than a CRT is anyway).

I will probably buy it in a few days, so if anyone has any experienced comments/suggestions let me know please.