1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help a total newbie please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by technovorgin, Jun 19, 2004.

1. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ive just bought a philips 42PF9945/12 plasma i want to put a dvd player and sky (not+) through it and maybe a console at a later date.i dont want all the wires running round the wall so want a 'box' i can put all the scarts into then feed the one scart out currys have such a box at around £80
    the problem is everybody ive spoke to so far tells me different ways to do it and my head is spinning im not a vey good reader as it is so the manual might as well be in japenese + it doesn't tell me how to do that anyway
    the problem i have at the minute is the picture quality isn't all that good and there is a lot of bluring when moving objects are on the screen
    i dont want to spend a load of money on cables and boxes etc if there is a setting i can adjust ive tryed for hours with contrast brightnes etc but that aint got it much better
    im at a loss what to do one mate with a plasma told me to get a scart to ariel lead and retune tv another told me to get gold scarts etc
    i would pay someone to come look and tell me the best way to go so any of you boys in leeds area interested in making a few quid let me know

2. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i know im asking a lot but im at my witts end

3. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Don`t worry m8 i`m sure one of these very helpful members will reply shortly, as i too would like to know the answer to the least amount of cables question for when i get mine ;) does the Quintro scart signal switching box enable you to do this?

4. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bought a switcher box today and a new gold plated £35 scart lead and its still the same :mad:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I find the picture quality comes std. with Philips plasmas. Didn't you see it working before you bought it? You are probably doing things right. BTW on the scart switching front, there are now several AV amps that do this for you, like the Pioneer VSX301. If you need surround sound, this is a good way to go, aside from the obvious limitations of the amp, it's not the loudest in the world. Won't miraculously improve a picture though. Try it with the best scart you've got straight from a source, see if you can get the picture good enough like that, then try again with the switch.

6. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the problem ive got is the pixilation when people are moving and bright light round their heads
    the philips was bought direct from philips amsterdam by the people i work for so i dont want to look a total idiot when i tell them its faulty if its only a setting ive not got right
    the tv my boss has in his office is the same as mine but the picture quality is far better than mine
    this is a major head ache i dont even want to switch it on its that bad
    ive rung people who sell them and they are not willing to come and set it up for me as i didn't buy it from them even when i offer to pay :suicide:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm 230 miles away, so it's not that I'm not willing. My experience with these sets is not good, your experience is pretty typical. If your boss has a good one, he's lucky. You've checked the obvious, like telling it to look for RGB, and of course sending it RGB in the 1st place.

8. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes but the wierd thing is ive put the ariel in and auto tuned and the football at the moment is actualy pretty good
    we have been on to philips and they say when ive done all i can they will talk to me and see about getting me a new set if they are satisfied the picture quality is not good so its wait and see
    but any ideas are most welcome
    i have as follows:
    old panasonic digibox from sky
    sumvision dvd player
    both of which i swaped from pal to rgb
    the scart is in socket 2 on the tv cos for some reason i got no picture from scart 1 on the tv when useing the switcing box
    p.s. the picture quality is just and i mean just better with the £35 scart lead and the av switcher(the picture is the same whether av switcher is conected or not)

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Looking at the manual, they suggest a VCR connection to scart 2. Could it be composite only? Try the others.

10. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ive now got vertical lines running down the front of the screen its more noticeable
    when on a light background
    i am so ******ed off at the moment

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hmmm, begin to suspect the hardware.

12. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the lines have gotten worse im sending it back to philips im not impressed at all

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry for you, mate. Expectations run high with expensive new toys, very disappointing. Philips generally a decent enough company, just not brilliant with plasma. Any thoughts as to where to go now? Majority of plasmas more than capable of a decent picture.

14. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the problem i have is that the company i work for get them cheap direct from philips so i may go philips lcd if they are any good?
    the picture on the plasma is realy poor quality and im sat only 9 ft away so lcd may be the only way forward