1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a novice fool

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Logan, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Logan

Logan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is probably obvious to some of you 'veterans' but ...help!
    I own a Nikon 995 Coolpix. I do a lot of miniature painting and needed a camera that could handle extreme close-ups.
    However, nigh on every picture I take is blurred (not just close-ups but regular 'shots' as well - especially indoors). I know it's probably a super sensitive camera but this is getting ridiculous.
    Before I owned a Canon DC 280 and never had a single problem re blurred images.
    I keep the camera as still as is humanly possible but all to no avail.
    What am I doing wrong?
    I refuse to believe I can't get pictures that aren't blurred.....

2. infoBlip

infoBlip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a coolpix 995 and to be fair, I have had a little trouble on focus though I've sussed it. But actually I've never had a problem on macro, nothing here but crisp clear photos, just like all the reviews said, if not better, quite amazing actually.
    the main thing is, by blurred - you mean out of focus? or blurred as like you get with camera shake? because they are two different issues often confussed as the same thing.
    Also explain how you are taking these pictures, ie.. are you manually focusing, auto focusing, are you focusing using the timer countdown (10sec or 3sec), and more importantly (stupid though I may type it) have got it on Macro mode? (i'm sure you have)

There are a few points I'd like to make before you answer the above:

1) Don't use the countdown, I found this very unreliable on focus, actually 90% did not focus on what I wanted with the camera on a Tripod than taking the same picture by Pressing the button, That I cant work out why so maybe someone else can explain that cos I'm miffed to know why!

2) make sure when you are in Macro mode that the icon is yellow in colour, not in the white.

3) Make sure the green light is not flashing when you slightly depress the button as you do to focus on the subject before fully depressing to take the shot. If the green light is flashing, then the 995 is not able to focus on the subject. if the green light is lit, then the subject is in focus, but should your pictures come out of focus then you must have a software problem or a lens error, (saw one with this error in the shop that I bought my 995 for £100!)

4) if you are using 1.6 Firmware there is a bug, due to a combination of rotating the head 180 along with something else that I cannot recall. every picture taken after will be out of focus regardless if the camera says it is or not, the only cure (as said by Nikon on a web page) is to remove the battery, and just turning off the camera does not cure the bug. This has been fixed on Firmware 1.7 (it happen to me) I updated swiftly.

Hope this might help, overall I think the 995 is a great camera even better with a extra flash, but as I previously mentioned earlier by blurred - you mean out of focus?

infoBlip

3. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Logan

I'd always heard that 995 is a darned good camera.

Can you attach a small pic to a reply so we can see the problem actually in a pic?

PM me if you need help, although I'm sure you won't!

Sounds like a strange problem - certainly not obvious!

Us "veterans" for the most part are just enthusiastic digital users who like to help out :)

Collin