Help a noob! (new projector purchase question)

Spec-Chum

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve just about had the proverbial nod from ‘er indoors to buy a new 50” LED TV (£900) but projectors have caught my eye…

Could I get a half decent setup for £900 (this is max, she doesn't do negotiation)

Obviously you’ll need to know info about my room etc, but not sure what info you need but in the meantime any recommendations for a projector and a screen for £900 or less? The Optoma HD131Xe seems decent for the price? This'd leave quite a bit for a screen? Or a different projector and a cheaper screen?

I watch mainly blu-ray movies and some netflix.

My room is light coloured which I think makes a difference?

The current 42” TV has to stay and the screen will have to be in front of it as if it’s on the wall behind it it’ll be too high I feel.

Any help appreciated!

Have you got sound sorted as unlike TVs, PJs do little or no sound? It's a good idea to keep a TV and use the PJ for special ie movies, HD sport and HD nature program's and blu ray.
Light coloured room isn't great but can be overcome, mine is a light living room but best to have good thick curtains or black out blinds especially this time of year.

Sound is something i know a bit about lol.

I've got onkyo 705 in 7.1 so that's all sorted.

I'm a noob to projectors but in av in general I'm OK :)

Nice one, so next we need to know whether you need a bright PJ or not. Bright for home cinema I would say would be 2000 lumen up. Then whether a cheap white pull down screen or are you finicky about your contrast/black levels if so then a grey screen might be better.

Is the optoma a decent option? Gets decent reviews.

I've got black out blinds on both Windows so I can get it quite dark even in daylight :)

OK cool.

Just need to decide on a screen now.

Still undecided on fixed or pull down, white or grey. I think a fixed one might end up being a bit high as it'll have to go above the current TV

Just ordered PJ :)

Got it from Amazon as it's gone down overnight to 490!

Just need a screen now!

I do like deep blacks but white screens are much more common and generally cheaper.

Might just grab a blackout blind for the time being. I do need a new one for it's intended purpose anyway so it wouldn't be wasted either way.

Just ordered PJ :)

Got it from Amazon as it's gone down overnight to 490!

Just need a screen now!

I do like deep blacks but white screens are much more common and generally cheaper.

Might just grab a blackout blind for the time being. I do need a new one for it's intended purpose anyway so it wouldn't be wasted either way.
hi i was in the same boat as yourself a year ago and bought a large blackout blind from a well known Swedish furniture store to tide me over so to speak,took it back within two days as the edges curled so badly it was painfull to watch anything on my new optima hd 230x projector,so just be carefull i would say.as for the projector i love my optima,you wont be disappointed i promise.

I've gone off the idea of a blind now haha

Looking for a 100" budget screen with reasonable performance, might just grab one of these: Purchase a NEW 100" 16:9 ELECTRIC HD PROJECTION SCREEN Matt White Projector | eBay

The issue is I can only fit a 100" screen the way the room is now but we're going to be moving it around when we both get a week off in a couple of months so that I've got an entire 4m wall to play with...

Projector comes tomorrow and I've got day off! Woo!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom