1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a noob get a decent pic on a ptae100. Please!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Daithi, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    just finshed building my HTPC on Monday night, it was my first ever build, I was surspised how easy it is, a lot easier than lego! Anyway, I put on XP MCE 2005 and bought an ATI DVI to Componet dongle as I already had a long run of component cable to my AE100 (also running a svideo cable to a crt TV which will only be used in media mode). Can't for the life of me get a decent picture in XP mode, took down powerstrip but have no idea what I'm doing(was never a pc gamer so I'm not used to tweaking graphic cards in anyway). To be honest I'm not even sure if powerstrip is controlling the output, do I need to remove/disable the software that came with the graphics card.
    One last problem I'm having, in media mode the picture is quite good at the moment for DVd etc, but all my tv channels(ntl cable analogue) are being displayed in 4:3 with black bars at either side.
    If nayone knows what I need to do please let me know, I'd be eternally grateful. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people who enjoy playing around with these things, I just liked the features. Here's my pc if needed:

MSI K8N NEO Platinum Edition
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 GHz Socket 754, 512 KB cache
    Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB Unbuffered
    Thermaltake Venus Silent Boost
    Sapphire RADEON 9600 Atlantis Pro ADVANTAGE Edition

Connected using DVI To Component Video Adapter for ATI Cards - DVI-HDTV200

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't know how to configure Powerstrip for the AE100, but perhaps a brief into to it may help. :)

Powerstrip isn't a video driver nor does it do anything to process an image, therefore you still need the same video drivers you had before. What it does is to reprogram the graphics chip to resolutions and refresh rates not available with the standard drivers. Once this job is done it basically sits there doing nothing.

The idea is to select a resolution for your PC which is the same as the projector, this achieves what's called "1:1 mapping". When fed with a signal that is the same resolution as its' own panels the projector no longer uses its' on-board scaler to resize the image .. it's this scaler that in low and mid-range projectors is usually not very good compared to DVD players and HTPCs. In fact it's the PC's ability to resize a DVD to the same size as the projector that is the most important reason why HTPCs produce far better images than all but top-end DVD players and/or external scalers.

So they key is to set the required resolution. Powerstrip comes with many pre-defined, I don't know if any of these are what the AE100 needs or whether you need to configure your own .. if you do then there's bound to be several AE100 owners who can point you in the right direction. :)

HTH

3. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    These are what you should add in the custom resolution settings

BTW the best picture is achieved through the VGA connector on the PTEA100, component has problems, soft picture and you can’t adjust the RGB colours.

PTEA100 settings

Picture mode: Normal
    Lamp power: Low
    colour temp:normal
    PC priority: wide
    Let the PJ warm up for about 15 minutes then Under Position menu, use Auto Setup.

AE100 PowerStrip display resolution timing:

856x480 direct 1-1 pixel perfect display in AE100 WIDE480 mode.

Pixel clock: 31.73MHz, H-scan rate: 29.821kHz, V-refresh rate: 60.002Hz.

Horizontal timing: Active 856, Front porth 56, sync width 88, Back porth 64, total 1064.
    Vertical timing: Active 480, Front porth 1, sync width 3, Black porth 12, total 497.

1280x720 downscaled by the AE100 in WIDE720 mode.

Pixel clock: 74.160MHz, H-scan rate 45.000kHz, V-refresh rate: 60.000Hz.

Horizontal timing: Active 1280, Front porth 73, sync width 80, Back porth 215, total 1648.
    Vertical timing: Active 720, Front porth 5, sync width 5, Back porth 20, total 750.

Panny AE100 special setting:
    Option->PC Priority->WIDE

Or copy this to the clip board (highlight and press Ctrl + c)

T:856,56,88,64,480,1,3,12,31665,342

and press the copy from clip board icon in custom resolution screen
    then just click the add new resolution let the thing reboot and then reopen to custom resolutions and click on user defined and you should have your new setting. :smashin:

Here the settings for 720

T:1280,73,80,215,720,5,5,20,74160,336

:thumbsup:

4. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help lads, just 2 questions on this now.
    1) Before I knew any of this I did a lot of completely uniformed messing about in the many ATI display properties. Will powerstrip supercede these or should I try to go back to default settings and start from scratch with powerstrip?

2) I've vowed not to spend another penny for the time being, so for now at least I'm stuck using component. Does that change any of the setting you've given me Scotty (main problem being I've no PC Priority mode on the projector using component)? I don't have time to play with it much at the moment and now that I have it in a semi-respectable state I'd prefer not to change anything that's lightly not going to work and put me back to square1.

Anyway thanks again for your help.
    PS if anyone else is thick enough to have probelms getting their TV signal just hit the more info button on the remote while watching tv and there's a widescreen zoom. Doh.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Off hand I can't think of any settings controlled by the ATI Control Panel that Powerstrip would try to control as well, things like colour controls, brightness etc. are not what Powerstrip is interested in.

Talking of the ATI Control Panel, you may find yourself scratching your head trying to figure where the setting you create in Powerstrip is selected in the Display | Properties | Settings panel.

The secret here is to click 'Advanced', then 'Monitor' and un-check the 'Hide modes this monitor cannot display' checkbox. You then go to the 'Adaptor' tab, click 'List All Modes' and in there you'll find the custom resolution Powerstrip created amidst all the standard ones that the ATI Control Panel knows about.

As for the type of connection you're using, that has no impact generally on what you do with Powerstrip and in the case of the equipment you're using then I see no chance at all of their being a problem.

6. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The ony adjustment within the driver that would affect the DVD output would be overlay, you could just reset these to defaults.

The 480 powerstrip settings provide a desktop resolution that is an exact match the projectors LCD panel, and provide the magical 1:1 pixel mapping.

The VGA connector provides a sharper picture and allows for greater adjustment than you can with component.

The PC priority, RGB adjustement only works when fed a signal through the VGA connector.

The powerstrip settings should work over the ATI dongle but unfortunately I have never used one so can’t comment

7. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help, but i've decided to give powerstrip a miss, keep losing picture completely when I mess with the pixel clock and can't take it anymore. I guess I just bought the wrong graphics card.

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Powerstrip with the dongle wont work to well together, best of going via VGA, you can get a 10m cable from komplett for around £15

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any idea why? It doesn't seem intuitive that a signal conversion would screw-up the ability of the receiver to sync (which I'm guessing is what happens).

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think the dongle has predifined res's that confuse the issue, im pretty sure you can do 848x480 res through it though

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, so the dongle has some intelligence, I presumed it was simply a signal convertor, but since I've no idea how the conversion is done I guess it may not be 'simple'. :)

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    it has dip switches on it too to set the res I think

13. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You didn't say what your card was other than its an ATI.

I think when you have the spare cash you should switch to VGA best picture, and more control.

good luck :smashin:

14. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The dongle is nothing more than a glorified gender changer, when you plug it into the graphics card, the graphics chip starts to natively output YPrPb instead of RGB and i'm pretty sure it will only let it output this format in certain resolutions

15. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just want to say thanks for the advice, got a 10m VGA from Komplett, did the pixel mapping and am now completely satisfied with the picture. If anyone else is considering the dvi/component dongle I'd have to recommend you give it a miss. My only problem now is I can't clone the display to my pj and TV, can only extend the desktop. Bit of a pain but I'll live with it.