1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a non techie pleeaasassee

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by cwoj, Nov 16, 2004.

1. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    xBOX

Hello

I am thinking of buying my son a xbox for xmas. What should i be looking to buy him? How will it connect to my plasma (th42pe30 - viera) for the best picture? I understand that they come with a hard disk? Why? I have also seen threads that say that they have them modded or chipped? Again why?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    Can't help you on the Plasma front.

All you need is an Xbox, probably an advanced scart cable (unless there is a better way to connect to your plasma & amp), plus whatever games & extra controllers you want.

You might also want to get an XBox Live kit, although for this you need to have broadband with an ethernet port to connect the Xbox to.

As for modding, if you don't know what it is, then you probably don't need it.

The main sort of mod is chipping. It's just a way to allow 'unofficial' software to run on your xbox. This doesn't just mean 'backup games', it also includes media player software, region free dvd players, etc. It also allows you to rip games or DVDs to the hard disk and play them from there.

The other popular mod, done in conjunction with chipping is swapping the hard disk for a larger capacity one.

There are also other mods. My Crystal XBox has got blue LEDs in the case, and it looks very nice indeed. :cool:

If its for your son, I'd just get him an XBox. You can always mod it later if you decide you need it.

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  4. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I have the older model of your plasma and a ps2. Best connection you can get is the component, if your using that then scart.

Component really is much better though and is the only way to take advantage of the progressive scan that i think (some/all?) xbox games do.